Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if you have to take your corn out of the viv to feed it, I was told you should or the corn will think your hand is food! is this true?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Depends what your thinking, it could swallow the substance inside the tank when feeding, and some people say if you feed it in its tank it will think you are its food when you go in to get it out, but personaly i feed them inside there vivs

·
Registered
31,909 Posts
me too - I've always fed in the viv, but my snakes eat off their plate, so the mouse doesn't get on the substrate! Very civilised my corns! :lol2:

·
Registered
625 Posts
I generally feed mine in the viv, placed onto something so that they don't ingest any of the substrate. I have a pair of long pliers so that my hand is not going in the viv.
You have to remember that snakes have bad eyesight but a good sense of smell and good at detecting heat. If they can smell food and you place your hand near they will detect your body heat and confuse you for food. That is when you risk getting a bite.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
i always feed out of the viv with my corns so they confuse my hands lol! i dont use an extra heat mat though, they feed and back in the tubs within ten mins or so! my royal eats in his viv but only because when brought him he has eaten this way all his life and i dont want him to stop eating!

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
I've always fed in the vivs and never had a problem with being mistaken for food in 15 years.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I use feeding tubs for all my snakes.

Its mainly due to accidental substrate ingestion, rather than seeing me hand as food when opening the viv.

It also gives me a chance to do a thorough inspection of the viv for any poo or nasties, that might be hiding :2thumb:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Feeding a cornsnake

Thanks for all your help, also I didn't know that snakes have poor eyesight! bless lol.

·
Registered
292 Posts
put kitchen towel in viv mouse,on towel... that is if there are not stri:2thumb:kers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts