Reptile Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
my beardies are 7 mth now and eating well - 20+ large locusts each a day if I let them! They are starting to eat their greens now, and I was wondering if its ok to ration them to 10 large locusts a day - I know they can be greedy blighters and I really don't want to over feed them or underfeed either!

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
I would say 10 large locusts a day each will be more than enough but if they are females and you want them for breeding the bigger the better. Also try mixing up there diet maybe a few crickets or morios worms. That must cost you a fortune buying locusts every day :lol2: but I bet they are healthy as anything :notworthy:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think they are both males, one was a scrawny little thing so kinda want to fatten him up a bit! My rep shop said I shouldnt be giving them so many locusts as they are like cream cakes to us, but from reading on here I kinda thought they were the best thing to give as a regular meat if you like? At the minute its about 40quid a week just for locusts! But if it keeps them good and healthy then hey ho way it goes
x

·
Registered
691 Posts
Are you keeping them together Sue/Fred? Do you have a spare viv? In case of problems - keeping males together is disastrous, as I found out to my cost..... and 7 months is getting near no-go-area!! PM me if you want to know what happened to me..

·
Registered
691 Posts
Boaboy, check it out!!! Males/males should NOT be kept together!!!!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Thanks ESAB, anyone else PLEASE!!! Boaboy, rethink!!!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi rykate,
when I first got them they were together and there were huge problems - tail nip, food dominance, general dominance issues,and health problems, it took 6 weeks of force feeding after immediately getting another viv to get my little fella eating again, no way would i recommend keeping any sex beardies together its just not worth the risk to me.
They have only just started eating greens/salad but aren't huge lovers, I thought maybe cutting down the locusts may encourage them a bit more! Just a thought - does the veg need dusting? Sorry, I just cant remember!
x

·
Registered
691 Posts
PM'd you Sue! I tend to dust everything just to make sure he gets what he needs. Good luck! Glad you keep them apart. Anytime!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts