Reptile Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered what's the best way to go about this. I was given a tub of small silent crickets when I bought them free of charge, and told to give them as many as they will take once a week. Is that a good way to do it? Also, do I kill the crickets first or use tweezers or what? Am I okay to just chuck in some overnight and take those left out the next day, or could they hurt the scorps?

Thanks

Also, crickets dont need water do they? I just put some orange in the tub and... yeah...

·
Banned
100 Posts
I always use tweezers
grab the crickets...alive... with tweezers........wiggle them around infront of their mouth/claws....if they are hungry...they will snatch them and then eat them
crickets dont need water...they get everything from the food you chuck in.......lettuce etc.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
i may be doing it wrong but my 3 emp scorplings get 10-15 size 2 crix chucked in 2-3 times a week, they very rarely leave any left, this is just what i was advised and to be honest they look like they are doing fine : victory:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
lol 2 or 3 times a week not every 2 or 3 weeks, that would be cruel! :lol2:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
ive got 3 lil guys in there, on 2nd moult crix,
if they arnt eating much is your enclosure too big? you probly know this but they are ambush predators, so if the tanks too big and nothing walks past, then theres nothin to ambush, i had that problem when i started, so i moved em to a smaller tank and they love it

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I only got them sunday so it could be that they had fed recently, so I will wait a week then try again. They are in 2/3s of a Large Flat faunarium (it comes with a divider. Once they get bigger I will take out the divider and give them the whole thing.

No, what I did was feed them one each with tweezers that they took, then kill 4 more (crushed heads) and leave them in, no more were taken. I didnt want to leave them in live unless they bite.

Next weekend I will just tweezer feed each until it is full up!!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
probly a good idea, some scorps only take live food, just fussy i guess, good luck : victory:

G

·
I feed all my scorpion slings once a week, they all get 1-2 appropiately sized crickets and do just fine and dandy.

Once you've had them a while you'll be able to tell how much you need to feed them (based on how fat they are, how many left over, etc). Just gotta get used to it.

Noooooo to bug gel. I don't provide any of my scorpions with water bowls, but thats just me (they'll drink the condensation as and when they want, but they get most of it from their food). If you do provide a bowl definately don't use gel.

·
Banned
100 Posts
think he was talking about the crickets........and no....do not put water in with the crickets....they won't last very long.
they get all the water they need from their food....lettuce....any greens....anything

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I was told to use the bug gel for the scorplings which is why I bought it, but ah okay shall take it out. I probably misheard the guy he must have meant it for the crix (who dont really need it I know)...

water dish is in now instead (bottle cap), with no water in it. When I mist the cage a thin layer of water catches in it for drinkin'

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
I gave my scorplings a bottle cap water dish but after having to excavate it every second day I gave up, its still in there filled with substrate. I recently gave them a load of sphagnum moss as well to help keep the humidity up.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd worry if there was no bowl in there, even though there are currently water drops clinging to the caves and just above the substrate level on the plastic sides to the tank. I know they can drink from those but a shallow dish of water never hurt. They're tiny (had their 2nd shed before I got them) so even the bottle cap looks deep.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts