Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some GALS, only babies, about an inch or two long. They mostly eat cucumber (and push other stuff aside to reach the cucumber) and I'm worried they don't get a varied enough diet, since other stuff I've tried mostly goes untouched.

I've discovered they quite like Repashy Crested Gecko diet. And since my Gecko won't touch it, is it ok to feed to the snails (in a jamjar lid or similar)?

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
I have some GALS, only babies, about an inch or two long. They mostly eat cucumber (and push other stuff aside to reach the cucumber) and I'm worried they don't get a varied enough diet, since other stuff I've tried mostly goes untouched.

I've discovered they quite like Repashy Crested Gecko diet. And since my Gecko won't touch it, is it ok to feed to the snails (in a jamjar lid or similar)?
It depends on what the ingredients are. I won't say it is ok since I've not used it before and have no idea what is in it. Even if it is I wouldn't give it often and it won't replace a proper fresh food diet. If the snails won't eat other stuff don't give them cucumber and give them foods like thinly sliced sweet potato, courgette, butternut squash, carrot etc. Babies don't eat much anyway so it can be hard to tell with chunks and they find it easier to eat thinly sliced usually. They might prefer the squash and sweet potato cooked, mashed and cooled but its obviously preferable if they will take it raw for the higher nutritional value. Pesticide free rose petals and dandelion leaf (well washed) might also tempt them.

If the cucumber is not there they will nine times out of ten go to the other food. You can also squeeze some cucumber juice onto the food at first to try and tempt them more. If you can get them eating other foods like that slowly add cucumber back in occasionally, although they will always eat the favourite food first so don't offer it every day. Sometimes snails can be very picky so it can be a case of making them start eating other stuff by removing the less beneficial favourite.

Do they eat cuttlefish bone or another calcium source readily?

A small amount of rolled oats mixed with powdered cuttlefish and/or limestone flour, ground pumpkin seed, hemp seed and sunflower seed then made into mush with hot water and left to cool to room temperature always goes down well with even the fussiest snails so it is another option to consider as long as you use warm water to mix it up so the oats are fully expanded.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

Never thought keeping snails could be so stressful!!

They have cuttlefish bone but I rarely catch them eating it. My brother got some at the same time, from the same breeder, and his are much bigger now than mine, but as far as I can tell our upkeep is the same so only difference seems to be his eat more!

I'll try the tips you mentioned though, thats really helpful.

One last question - I spray the substrate (organic compost) daily, do I need to spray more/less than that? I don't have a heat source as such but they live on top of the gecko bulb hood so get some warmth from there.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Thanks.

Never thought keeping snails could be so stressful!!

They have cuttlefish bone but I rarely catch them eating it. My brother got some at the same time, from the same breeder, and his are much bigger now than mine, but as far as I can tell our upkeep is the same so only difference seems to be his eat more!

I'll try the tips you mentioned though, thats really helpful.

One last question - I spray the substrate (organic compost) daily, do I need to spray more/less than that? I don't have a heat source as such but they live on top of the gecko bulb hood so get some warmth from there.
With spraying go by if the tank is drying out/soaking wet and the snails are active or not. Might be worth cutting down on the amount slightly. Try checking the tank temperature, aiming for 20 - 22c seems to work best with Achatina fulica (Guessing yours are this species). Do they have plenty of space and how active are they?

The snails themselves are the best indicator of if conditions are right, if they are inactive, sealing in a lot etc then tweak things like temperature and see how it impacts on that. Although they need to be humid the most commonly kept species fulica do suffer if humidity is too high.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for all the info. Yeah they are fulica I think. Substrate seems to dry out quite quickly hence daily spraying. Ambient room temp tends to be around 22-23 at the mo, dropping to about 18-19C at night. if it drops over winter I'll figure out a heat source for them.

This is the set up, does it look ok? There are only 3 snails in a medium faunarium so plenty of space. Small water container in corner but never filled with more than a cm or two of water. I will obvs upgrade to bigger tank when I need to. They spend the day buried (I dug one out to take photo to show size). I have seen at least 2 out quite a lot at night the other is much less active and I worry (s)he isn't getting enough food.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Thanks so much for all the info. Yeah they are fulica I think. Substrate seems to dry out quite quickly hence daily spraying. Ambient room temp tends to be around 22-23 at the mo, dropping to about 18-19C at night. if it drops over winter I'll figure out a heat source for them.

This is the set up, does it look ok? There are only 3 snails in a medium faunarium so plenty of space. Small water container in corner but never filled with more than a cm or two of water. I will obvs upgrade to bigger tank when I need to. They spend the day buried (I dug one out to take photo to show size). I have seen at least 2 out quite a lot at night the other is much less active and I worry (s)he isn't getting enough food.
Might be worth trying them with coir or less of the current substrate with coir added, it looks a bit chunky? If they move around on it without big lumps getting stuck to them and its definitely chemical free it is ok, just found sometimes snails prefer finer substrate that is less lumps.

Maybe give covering one half of the lid with clingfilm a go straight after misting and see if that increases activity, but don't go overboard as fulica are very sensitive to too much humidity. I wouldn't worry too much about the burrowing though as long as it isn't constant and they are active for a decent amount of time at night at least, they often do burrow to hide while sleeping. If possible put in some more cover like a piece of cork bark or another smaller plantpot, plastic plant or something, they like lots of places to hide and explore and are less likely to burrow down to sleep if they have more options.

If you make up some of the snail mush I mentioned before or very thinly slice some foods then give the snails a warm bath and place them on it while out it should encourage them to eat. The best way to tell if they are eating properly is if you see them actually pooing, if they are eating regularly they should be going at least once a day and nothing very thin or in bits held together by slime or that seems to be all substrate.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for all your help! You're a star.

Coir - is that basically the same as eco earth? They are on organic compost at the moment so definately chemical free. They seem to move fine on it but I'll try mixing half and half next time I clean them out.

I can throw some bark in no problem as well, I kind of didn't want to clutter the tank up too much, so they could find their food etc easily?
But you are right, it's probably a bit boring for them.

I can't wait for them to grow huge :D but I want to look after them properly too.

Can you have bioactive substrate with snails? I have in my gecko tank (woodlice). At the moment I have a root through the soil once a week to check for eggs (even though they are still a little small for laying I think) and change it completely every few weeks. Food I keep on a jam jar lid that I can take out and wash every day or so to stop it getting too manky.

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Thanks so much for all your help! You're a star.

Coir - is that basically the same as eco earth? They are on organic compost at the moment so definately chemical free. They seem to move fine on it but I'll try mixing half and half next time I clean them out.

I can throw some bark in no problem as well, I kind of didn't want to clutter the tank up too much, so they could find their food etc easily?
But you are right, it's probably a bit boring for them.

I can't wait for them to grow huge :D but I want to look after them properly too.

Can you have bioactive substrate with snails? I have in my gecko tank (woodlice). At the moment I have a root through the soil once a week to check for eggs (even though they are still a little small for laying I think) and change it completely every few weeks. Food I keep on a jam jar lid that I can take out and wash every day or so to stop it getting too manky.
No problem hun. :)

Coir is the expanding blocks of substrate, its also sold as eco earth and various other names. I buy mine in huge bales from an organic gardening place, works out way cheaper but not ideal with just the one or two small tanks most people have unless you have a lot of storage space.

They will find their food fine, especially if you keep the food being placed in one part of the tank they soon know where to go. Personally I think giving them other stuff to explore benefits both the keeper and the snails themselves, its a lot more interesting for you to watch them moving around and exploring a more decorated tank with different surfaces and things to climb, and it keeps them stimulated and provides more exercise and cover for them to hide away when they want.

Woodlice are fine in the tanks, i've been using them to help keep mine clean for years with no issues, as long as they have the little bits of rotting food, snail poo etc to eat and a flat dark place to breed under the populations usually explode fast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts