Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

anybody with experience of feeding Kenyan sand boa babies?

I have three , only one of which has taken a full pinkie.
Do they need smaller food items?

Any tips on getting them to feed?

John

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
not sure on hatchlings but I have a tiny bit of experience with my one who was not eating (CB feb 07) so still a baby.

I found first wash the pinky making sure its thoroughly defosted make sure head end is nice and warm.

Then when they have their head looking up out of substrate 'walk' the pinky along and they'll grab it. If not gently tease by tapping pink on snout and then hopefully they will get it..what I do which reassures me they are not eating substrate but won't eat unless they are in substrate:neutral:is once they have a good hold I gently lift him/her onto kitchen towel, close viv and cover with towel and usually u end up with a ksb witha full tum. HTH:mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
They do have very tiny mouths. If you think a pinky might be too big, cut it in half lengthways while it is still frozen ( too messy to cut when defrosted). I feed mine in a tub, and I put the food in the tub and then hold the snake over the food. ( By the way, they are not hatchlings, they are neonates, as boas give live birth).

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
They can eat larger prey items than you'd think - though yes, newborn pinks are the best if you can get them. I never had to halve pinkies for ours - I did however start them on tails.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have fed non-feeders on mouse tails for a year and they put as much weight on as the ones on pinkies. Then one day they decided they liked mice after all and started to eat pinks. Strange creatures. Makes you wonder what they would do in the wild. Probably not make it I suppose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts