Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do locusts eat? I feed the crix veg and sandfire cricket food and they get huge but the locusts wont eat anything,I've treid veg,fruit,cereal and as a last resort the crix food but they wont eat or grow and keep dying,there mainly for my tarantula which is why I want them a bit bigger.
any help really appreciated.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
you can feed them on progrub gutloadin formula and veg or thats what there ment to eat :D

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Yea, I feed the progrub I get it delived same time as the locusts then I throw in some leaves too. They live for over a week for me in the bag they come in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Or you could just cut some grass from your garden weve breed them at school from just a diet of grass

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
The proper grub food is best as well as the veg - because it's gut-loaded so the more goodness the locusts (or any insects) get inside them, the more goodness that eventually gets inside your lizard.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Progrub from Livefoods Direct or Jurassidiet from most herp stores to gut load.
I feed only locusts to my desert agamas. My locusts live in a large faunarium, plenty of egg box bits to hide in, bits of apple & some salad leaves as well as the gut loading food.
If lots are dying, they may be too cold or not getting enough light. Keep them @ 20deg F and let them see some daylight/artificial lamps for 10 hrs/day for happy fat locusts.
Some of the bits on the bottom of the cage will be shed skins, not dead locusts. However, if lots are dying, the primary cause will be the cold. Warm happy locusts eat most leafy things and many fruits. I even give them fruit & veg peelings from the kitchen. One thing they don't tend to eat much is each other (unlike crix).
Good luck with your locusts, there's a care sheet for locusts on Livefoods Direct website. :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
I feed my locusts on normal bug grub and savoy cabbage. I keep them at room temp although they are supposed to be kept warmer I think but they're fine. Had them bout 3 weeks now and only a couple have died :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts