Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, he's a great feeder and I've been feeding him medium - large mice, he's just knocking under two foot.
Someone said to me I should start feeding him weaner rats, so today I got a weaner rat and it looks massive!
Would he be able to eat it? I don't want to hurt him, that is why I'm asking lol.
Any help on this?

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
If it isn't bigger than 1.5 times the widest part of the snake then it will be fine. Fluffs are about the same size a medium/large mice though so it may be a bit big for him. Check out this thread http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/feeder/16801-mouse-rat-size-chart.html It has charts to compare the sizes of mice to rats so makes it easier to buy what size you need :2thumb:.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it isn't bigger than 1.5 times the widest part of the snake then it will be fine. Fluffs are about the same size a medium/large mice though so it may be a bit big for him. Check out this thread http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/feeder/16801-mouse-rat-size-chart.html It has charts to compare the sizes of mice to rats so makes it easier to buy what size you need :2thumb:.
Thank you, but I'm a tad confussed on this, do you mean the weaners width can only be 1.5 times the size of the biggest part of the snake?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I personally go by weight, rather than size.

How heavy is your snake?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Just weighed him, he is 75 grams.
You want to move him to rat weaners????????

That's upto, if not more dependant on weight of weaner 50% (upwards) of your snakes body weight.

How often do you feed your snake?

Also how old?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You want to move him to rat weaners????????

That's upto, if not more dependant on weight of weaner 50% (upwards) of your snakes body weight.

How often do you feed your snake?

Also how old?
That's why I asked, someone said about it and then I seen the size of them lol.
I feed him once a week and he's an Aug 09.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
id wait till he is a bit bigger i started feeding mine small weaner rats at around 150g how about rat fluffs thay would be fine and he is small for his age mines an early aug 09 and she weighs 560ish and my spider male is 480ish

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Everybody is different, I feed 10-15% of body weight every 3 weeks for my adults.

I find it is better to feed less often, more healthier on the snake. As 99% of snakes in captivity are over fed.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah I think I'll wait :) I've just checked the weight of the weaner rat and it says 23 grams, would it still be a weaner rat or would it be a rat pup? Sorry if I sound stupid lol, I think I'll stick to mice until he's bigger :)

·
Registered
579 Posts
is he an august 09 and only 75grams??? are u sure he's not from a later date?? all my offspring royals from august are between 350gram to 650gram. what size mouse do u feed?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If he is eating what you say he does, are your scales correct?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
is he an august 09 and only 75grams??? are u sure he's not from a later date?? all my offspring royals from august are between 350gram to 650gram. what size mouse do u feed?
I'm not 100% sure, but they said late Aug / early Sep 09. And he's on medium to large mice.

If he is eating what you say he does, are your scales correct?
Can't be sure on that, they are cooking scales (only ones we have in our house lol) So it could probably be a few grams out.
I've only had him for a month. But since I've had him, he's started to chunk up abit :)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Dude I would think your scales are out

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Would it be best if I took a picture of him? Then you can see the size of him? Or wouldn't that matter?
well take a pic, but stick something next to him, so as to try and gauge some info

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I have an aug 09 royal and he was eating rat pups till after xmas..i changed it and now he can take a medium mouse

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
My normal male was 7 weeks old when i bought him & he was 73g & he's an early Sept 09 :2thumb:. He is now 270g (that was last week, going to weigh tonight when i feed them). If he is that small I would feed every 4-5 days on a medium mouse. If you can get a pic up with something next to him as a guage, it will give us an idea to how small he is.

EDIT: Ok i posted at the same time as you!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts