Reptile Forums banner

How much privacy to give your snakes when they are feeding?

• None. Stay and watch with lights on and camera at the ready.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stay and watch.

• Leave the room but with lighting on.

• Leave the room but check on them periodically.

• Leave the room, turn out the lights and return in 40 mins or so

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the potential vulnerability of snakes when they are mid-feed, how much privacy do you give them?

Just curious.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Stay and watch. My Corn would feed if there was a party going on, and I've only just got the BRB, so wanna make sure all is OK etc.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
I have noticed in the short time I have had Nyoka, that she has been happy to strike at and eat a white mouse with an 'audience'.
By Audience, I mean me and my camera.
When she takes a brown mouse, she prefers for it to be left in her hide so she can eat it when she is good and ready!

I have properly observed and photographed one of her feeds, but generally I leave her to eat in peace.
She has only refused one feed so far and that was mondays, but she is in blue now.

·
Registered
201 Posts
my red tail doesn't seem to care. as long as glass closed he more than happy to chow down on lunch. biggest problem i have is getting him to realise he can't eat me as well. :lol:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I tend to keep the room dimly lit and watch from a distance.

He tends to slow down or stop and watch me if I sit with face pressed against the glass. I can hardly blame him really.

It was wierd at Knowsley safari park eating butties parked up whilst there were a dozen Monkeys sat on the bonnet and roof watching us eat. Was kinda like a role reversal in a wierd way. We were behind the glass but they were the exhibits.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They were watching in case there was any substrate on the butties. They would have been in as quick as a flash making you sick if there was!

Sorry mate, couldn't resist! :lol:

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
tbh i pretty much do all, depends on what else i need to do as i feed more than 1 food item in a sitting so with 3 boas waiting for them to all chomp on the mice takes some time! sometimes i watch, take pics, check on them from time to time and leave them half hour before going back to check!

the only problems ive had is off my smallest boa who looses interest in the mouse if she doesnt eat it in 5 mins or so just have to shake it about in front of her again and then she eats....silly thing :roll: last night she was more intent on trying to eat the forceps but she still ate 2 mice in the end :D

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Mine fit into to many category's....

Corn, his mouse just sits on his food plate until he's ready. He's perfectly willing to let you watch him from start to finish

Royal, He now gets put into a plastic tub, strikes the rat and I cover him with a sheet so its dark. However he is perfectly willing to let you see him swallow.

Boas, these are slightly fussy. They can take 30 mins for them to feed to they get put into a secure tub, strike fed and left for 30 mins until gone. I've not seen these swallow cause i just let them get on with it!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
little buggars aint they, i made the mistake once of batting one of them (accidentally) in the head with the mouse when i was getting its attention, all i will say is that the snake was covered with the mouses guts all over itself after i finished tearing it apart :( now that was grim, especially the smell :lol:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
lol....... The butties were clean......... my mum knew her stuff as they were in a tub!!!!!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I have quite a few snakes and they are all different, I now have one (baby CRB) that will only feed in my boyfriends hand!! Refuses anywhere else (shes only tiny @ the min so not a prob - yet!!See 'yey yey yey...' thread) One boa will sit on a towel on the floor & eat in front of everyone with normal stuff going on no problem, I just cover him over when hes' done & leave him for 20 mins or so before putting him away, he always eats well & has never regurged & is very placid. My big girl boa will eat just about anything & everything we offer her where ever & whenever (constantly if she could!) 2 little boas are not too bad, will refuse occasionally but mainly when coming up to shed, tend to leave them in a box for half hour or so & then check on them, my other CRB will eat in front of you on the floor but gets nervous so I put her in a box too. My blokes kings eat happily in front of ppl too, I don't think you can really ans this question unless you only have one snake as they are all so different!

G

·
For me i feed on a Sunday evening(Bin men come monday morning)I leave the snakes alone for at least 45 mins then offer any left overs to others.Whatever is not eaten goes in the bin and away with the rubbish next morning :D

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
welshgaz said:
Mine fit into to many category's....

Corn, his mouse just sits on his food plate until he's ready. He's perfectly willing to let you watch him from start to finish

Royal, He now gets put into a plastic tub, strikes the rat and I cover him with a sheet so its dark. However he is perfectly willing to let you see him swallow.

Boas, these are slightly fussy. They can take 30 mins for them to feed to they get put into a secure tub, strike fed and left for 30 mins until gone. I've not seen these swallow cause i just let them get on with it!
Thanks Welshgaz.

That is where my poll wasn't properly thought through taking into account the number of snakes and number of different species of snake people have.

Doesn't look like I can edit the poll options either.

Thanks for all the votes so far people. :)

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
My BP doesn't worry if watched or not - she has been placed on a large towel in the middle of a group of spectators before and could care less.

My boa strikes like lightning then will often sit with it for quite a while before eating - I tend to leave her alone.

My hoggy (when eating :roll: ) will dash across the viv with mouth wide open and has been happy for me to film her.

I don't have a problem with leftovers as the monitor is my bin :wink:

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
ok think we've discovered there are various ways with different species but how do people feed there big snakes? Do you watch them roll around in the floor, feed in viv, very large tub and cover them?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts