Reptile Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi my mate has just bought a baby royal and it's not eating so i have to force feed him will he eventually start eating on his own as he gets bigger
and how often should you feed them

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
I dont suggest you force feed it unless you really need to then dont do it unless you know how to, and by the questions your asking im guessing you dont know how to.

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
Why do you "have" to force feed it?

What have you tried already?

In my experience, a snake that HAS to be force fed is a snake that is probably going to die anyway.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The fact that you said he's "just" bought the royal suggests that force feeding is very unnecessary. What have you tried to get it feeding so far? How long has had the snake? How big/old is it? Force feeding should be a last resort and theres plenty you can try before. Also providing it's eaten before with the shop/previous owner it can survive for quite some time without eating

·
Registered
666 Posts
This is so similar to a popst the other day. I shall keep it short and sweet as the other day the person got the ump with what I had to say.

From what you say, your friend has only just bought the royal so he shouldn't be trying to feed it anyway. You need to let it settle in before handling and feeding the snake. That would be the reason why the snake hasn't eaten. Even after a while, there are many things to try and do to get the snake to eat by itself before you force feed or assist feed.

Please tell your friend to do more research if he has done any at all. Which from what you have explained they seem to have just gone and bought this snake without actually knowing anything about it. There is so much to know and I am still learning even after hours upon hours of reading.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Good call! This is the person who called me ignorant because I don't force feed my royal after having it for one day. I don't mind answering anyones questions, to the best of my knowledge, no matter how stupid they may sound. What I do not like is people doing stuff to a snake they have bought (or any other animal) with no knowledge at all and then asking questions later when the anmal seems stressed.

Why not do the research before hand? Much better for you and the animal in the long run

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
What the other guys have said. If the little one's still settling in don't worry - Royals can be notorious for being picky feeders until they're happy too.

Both of my started out as quite fussy - they'd be interested in the food item, then just leave it. I kept trying and eventually they take. Once they do, they seem more than happy to keep on taking regularly.

Sometimes snakes don't eat for a long time in the wild remember!

·
Premium Member
13,877 Posts
Are you serious? Never force-feed a royal unless it's life depends on it. Snakes are designed to go for long periods of time without food, and royals especially won't eat if stressed, which it will be as it's moved home - and now moreso cos you've force-fed it.

You need to give this snake time to settle in before feeding it - at least a week possibly 2, with no handling. After that defrost the mouse, warm it up and wiggle it to get it to take it.

Please don't try force-feeding it again.

(still not sure if this is a serious post though tbh).

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
becouse it never has eaten i leave the pinky in their for ages and it wont it sorry i thought that it was ok to force feed them plus im worried he will die thats why i do it

·
Registered
666 Posts
becouse it never has eaten i leave the pinky in their for ages and it wont it sorry i thought that it was ok to force feed them plus im worried he will die thats why i do it
You just leave the pinky in there for ages? Is that all you do, leave it in there? Have you dangled it about as if it were alive? Is the mouse warmed through thoroughly? Have you brained the mouse (not sure if that's possible with pinkies as they're small)? How long do you leave it before trying to feed again? Trying to feed every night will stress the snake out and that will make it not eat

What do you mean the snake has never eaten? I thought your friend had only just got it? It begs the question, why did he/she buy a snake that hasn't eaten?

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
And maybe a "pinky" is the wrong food entirely.

My baby royals eat fuzzy/small mice and rat pups/fuzzies. They seem to prefer food with fur on.

A pinky mouse (if that's what you're using) is too small and might not interest them at all.

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
You don't have to force feed it, just give it a slightly bigger prey item. Snakes need to be given time to settle in to their surroundings and they're built to go for long periods of time without food so wanting to force feed a Royal because it has missed one feed is the wrong thing to do.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Would you like someone to hold you down a ram your tea down your throat when you're not hungry?...or perhaps something you really don't like?

Why should it be any different with snakes?

Force feeding is extremely stressful and should only be done as a real last resort...generally (in my opinion) if the snake is just too weak to physically feed by itself...and in that case it would also be unable to slither around properly etc...

There are so many things you can try before force feeding it...

Have either of you tried heating the prey item?

Have you tried different sizes of food?

Have you tried different species of food (gerbils, hamsters, mice, rats...)

Have you tried different colours?

Have you tried feeding in a tub?

Have you tried braining the prey?

Have you tried wiggling the prey?

Have you tried a mixture of these?

Have you tried just leaving the snake well alone for a few weeks (4 ish) so it is properly hungry?

Bear in mind that stress is one of the major reasons snakes won't eat...particularly royals... So every time you are force feeding it (because it 'won't eat') you are just adding to the stress. Yes, it may be getting a meal...but you're just taking another 6 steps backwards every time you force feed it because it is adding more stress...

As has been said, if you ask me, a royal should never have to eat a pinkie...Try a rat fuzzy, or a hopper mouse...

My two hatchlings are around 100gms now, and both feeding on fully furred small adult mice...(without the tail they're around 2.5 - 3 inches long)...

Change the prey item for something a bit bigger...brain it (push a pin through its' skull)...heat it up really well for a few mins under a hairdrier...then gently wiggle it infront of the snake, as if it were alive... If it doesn't show any interest, leave it in the entrance of the hide anyway...

Do all this of a night when the room is pitch black...and do it after a few weeks of no handling or force feeding what so ever...

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
ok thanks but i got told that force feeding doesnt hurt them i wont do it again :2thumb:
If it's done right and for the right reasons it might keep them alive. I'm not sure if it will do much to keep them HEALTHY.

In my admittedly limited experience with assist fed snakes (I don't buy them and I don't assist feed except in absolute last resort - and I won't force feed) they do not grow and thrive as well as snakes that eat voluntarily.

·
Registered
192 Posts
a girl i know got 2 royals last october, 1 is a perfect strike feeder the other has never eaten unless forced, she does this every 5-7 days, i asked her why and she said that as far as she's concerned its not healthy 4 a baby 2 go so long without feeding, she does try dangling etc but never with any joy, so she says, now i got a new royal a few weeks ago who's obviously a little underweight and after a week i offered him some food but he didn't want it, i'm not 2 worried as i'm sure he will when ready, now straight away she started telling me that he MUST eat and if he won't take it then i must force feed it, well as you can imagine i certainly didn't take her advice, he's my 3rd royal and my 1st was a nightmare feeder, went over 4 months without feeding, now strike feeds every week without fail so does my other.
oh and i assure you this is a friend i'm talking about and not me, i don't agree with what she does but not much i can do as she thinks she's some royal python god!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts