Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Just a quicky, is it possible to overfeed your turtles? I would assume that obviously when they have had enough they just stop eating?

Also, just wondering what the ideal diet would be for an African Helmeted Turtle? All mine are interested in at the moment are meal worms.

Some help please?

·
Premium Member
4,677 Posts
Yes it is possible to overfeed... (and very easy to do so!)

African Helmeted turtles are very greedy too!

Get them onto a good quality complete turtle pellet to ensure they are getting a balanced diet. For AHT's I recommend Zoomed Turtle Pellets.

Per meal, Feed as many pellets as would fit into the turtles head, if you imagine it to be hollow.

AHT's are highly carnivorous and as 'treat' foods (once or twice a week instead of pellets) can be given:

Snails, earthworms, defrosted frozen cockles/mussels/prawns

'Greens' should be made available, but you may find they are ignored by the turtle (pondweed, romaine lettuce, water cress)

Mealworms are high in protein and should not be a staple diet and should be limited to a treat every now and then... High protein diets can cause accelerated growth, weight gain and liver problems.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
I would assume that obviously when they have had enough they just stop eating?
Most newbie keepers assume that, but it's completely wrong and that's how so many turts end up overweight with MBD and other problems.

Turts are opportunist feeders, in the wild they don't know when their next meal is coming so they eat at every opportunity, the food supply is naturally limited though so they rarely eat too much.

In captivity the only limit to the food supply is you, they quickly learn that by scrabbling at the glass whenever you appear they'll get fed because you think they are hungry.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thanks alot for the help. ill make sure that they primarily feed on the pellets i have got. I have tried these before though but looking back, i tried these and the meal worms at the same time so they clearly ignored them to get more meal worms. ...cheeky!!!

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
They're very selective feeders when they want to be, and will soon have you trained to feed them what they want, whenever they want it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts