Reptile Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My female lesser weighing around 200g has eaten every time food is offered since i got her (Pras end of october 2011) however the last 3 attempts she strikes/constricts and then leaves it, i offer it again same thing happens.

I was offering small weaners which she was taking, have tried rat pups incase she wanted something smaller. i defrost by leaving the rats in my airing cupboard all day then before i offer to snake i dunk its head in boiling water and give it a quick once over with the hair dryer but she just wont eat it.

any suggestions as to what would help? she is hungry as she is constantly cruising for food.

She is in a 9ltr rub a hide hot and cold sides and water bowl in the middle, she is on cyprus mulch and temps vary between 29.5 to 31.5 hot end and cool end is around 27

many thanks,
Benn

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE;

Okay so last night i defrosted the rat in the airing cupboard through out the day, got to about 9:30pm i started feeding the snakes....... Fed the lesser last so there would be less distractions, after warming up with the hairdryer and dunking the head in boiling water, i lowered the weaner rat into the rub and BANG she grabbed it and 'killed' it, i popped her rub back into the rub and left her for an hour, came back later and she was still cruising the tub looking for food even know the weaner was still sitting there un-eaten.

So i took her rub out again, popped her in her rub ontop of my 'worktop' i offered again and bang she took it again, this time half in the rub half out, so i thought meh, i will just sit here and watch her with the music on and the lights on (normally lights are off and its silent) she pulled it into her rub and munched it down pretty quickly, so as she was finishing that one off i popped the head of the second rat into her mouth as she hasnt eaten in a while.

But basically, she is a vain little poo that wont eat unless i sit there and watch her do it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I used to leave the food defrosting in warm water next to the faunarium, the snake has a chance to smell their meal coming and work up an appetite so when I pop them in their feeding tub and dangle the mouse/rat in they strike at it pretty enthusiastically - and hell they've been smelling that yummy rodent for the past 20 minutes they're going to be quite happy to get a taste!

A bit trickier in a rack system, I concede, is there perhaps a corner of the room you can pop her near with the food defrosting?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts