Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone . had my royal for about 2 weeks now and is feeding fine so far on weaner rats , just wondering how you can tell when he is ready to move onto bigger rats ? as previous owner said he was almost ready, i would like to know how I can tell. ive tried searching for this but nothing came up. thanks

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
As above, but use a bit of common sense, if it looks too big, don't push it. Is the current item leaving a visible lump in the snakes body? If not it's probably time to go up.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i understand that but after eating he likes to hide , can notice it going down his neck but unsure about his body as he goes away and hides. just dont see the point in wasting money buying him bigger rats when hes not ready for them

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
What is his weight? A rule many go by is to feed a rat that's 10-15% of the body weight of the snake :2thumb:. So an 800g Royal can take an 80-120g rat :2thumb:. Also i notice you've only had him 2 weeks. I would carry on feeding him what he's on for another few weeks as a change now could upset him as he's still settling into his new home & he may then stop feeding altogether.

·
Registered
265 Posts
What is his weight? A rule many go by is to feed a rat that's 10-15% of the body weight of the snake :2thumb:. So an 800g Royal can take an 80-120g rat :2thumb:. Also i notice you've only had him 2 weeks. I would carry on feeding him what he's on for another few weeks as a change now could upset him as he's still settling into his new home & he may then stop feeding altogether.
corney girl is right !

Reactions: maxcherry

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Also agree with Corny Girl, i think your lucky its feeding so soon after getting it home, it took ours 2 months before it would take its first feed from us!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
he is around 500g, when i first got him he fed fine but now hes not , tried twice now but hes not taking it :(

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
he is around 500g, when i first got him he fed fine but now hes not , tried twice now but hes not taking it :(

Were they small or large weaners you were feeding? At 500g i'd stick with small weaners & when he's about 600g move up a size to large weaners :2thumb:. Don't worry about them not eating, most will stop at some point. So long as he's not losing too much weight he'll be fine (i'd weigh him every couple of weeks & note any changes). One of mine stopped for 11 weeks (they seem to stop at 700g+ for some reason), she finally ate last week (fingers crossed she'll eat again this week).

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
my 08 male pastel fed the day after i got him 2 weeks ago (he was only 650gramms when i had him) but has taken his 2nd feed no problems! he is a bit of a weird feeder though? strikes realy hard and constricts but he will stay constricted for about 10 mins before eating the first rat then the second he will strike, constrict and eat within a minute? often wondered if he falls asleep after the first strike?

He is on 2x rat weaners at the moment weighting about 40-50g each and i have fed him every 7 days? they dont realy show that much in him though? so would you move him up to small rats or keep with the weaners for a few more weeks?

·
Registered
16,636 Posts
Hi,

Won't do him any harm to be on two weaners for a few more feeds.

Wouldn't cause too many problems if you moved him onto the larger weaners or small rats after that either.

Just try not to make it too big a jump in weight of food and he should be fine either way.

dr del

1 - 11 of 11 Posts