Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im new to this forum, i have a carpet python and a red tail boa, boa is a around 8 months old but has not grown very quickly, should i be worried?..i was told to expect a few feet in the first year. however she has only shed maybe 2 or 3 times, but always takes food and is very lively and seems healthy. also what do people find is the best lighting for these? thanks.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
carpet python, dont know havent got one, boa, i use a nomal light bulb on a dimmerstat, they dont need any special lighting,its just used for heating,and its on a timer,13 hours on 11 hours off,I wouldnt worry about it not growing quickly so long as it is growing and eating normaly.food should be same size as snakes biggest part of body,and i feed mine every 7 days,shes only 14 weeks old though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks mate, but what heating would you recommend for nighttime? its indoors, so ive just been turning the light off and it seems fine with room temp?

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
Ive got a heat mat for all my reps, control them with a mat stat though,or you can use blue/red bulbs as snakes cant see them so they wont disrupt night time activity.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
As already said they don't need special lighting - as long as they get enough natural light so that they can tell the difference between night and day, that's fine.

For heating, considering you'll be needing fairly large vivs when they're older, I'd go for ceramics on pulse or dimming stats. They emit no light and so are ideal for 24/7 use.

I wouldn't worry too much about how quick they're growing - just make sure they getting the right amount/size of food and get some scales and keep an eye on their weight. As long as they're putting a bit of weight on each month then you're on the right track.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts