Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my mates just brought a baby red tail boa and its may 06 so about 7 months old and the pet shop where he brought it from told him to feed it every 4 days,its eating mice that are just turning into adults.would you say the shop is right telling him to feed it every 4 days or would you consider that as power feeding?

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
my common boa is only 5 months old and i feed her every seven days, i think every four is a bit too often.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ive been told and always have fed my royals twice a week until they are on large mice, then slip to once a week.
If i ever convince them to have a rat id slip it to every fortnight - fair size rat, not a pup.

Dan

·
Registered
632 Posts
he was prob told that because he was feeding a hatchling, as the food size goes up the frequencey should go down, it all depends on how active the snake is and whether or not it is still growing. ideally an adult snake should be fed 1 mouse every fortnight (as it has stopped its major growing and requires less) but i don't know anyone who feeds every 2 weeks :? apparently most captive "pet" snakes are obese anyway! :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
The guy who feeds rats to his large snakes fortnightly is a very well known and one of your biggest whole sale stockists in the country. Wouldnt surprise me if some of you here have his stock anyway.

But its like any pet, we all do what we feel is right.

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
i was told by the shop every seven days too. mine was hatched on july 7th, and he is taking two pinkies. am not starving him am i ??????

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you fed a baby fortnightly yes, you would be starving him.

Different people have different ideas, all mostly experts too. Just learn from your snakes and you will know when they want feeding anyway.

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
so if i fed him every five days instead of seven, would that be okay. he always seems very hungry when i put the pinkies in at every seven days.

·
Registered
84 Posts
the guy i buy my snakes from recommends feeding little ones like that twice a week, i feed my little ones twice a week thursdays and mondays.
Mine are all fine.

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
i will start feeding him twice a week then.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Theres no way a snake, baby or not, would starve or be starving after two weeks without food.
these weekly feeding timetables are what people have developed when keeping snakes. i really don't think a snake in the wild would feed with any clock work regularity.
it's not worth worrying about. i believe it's worse to feed the snake too regularly more than anything. they are incredibly efficient animals, cabable of shutting down bodlly functions in times of starvation. it's only human interferance that creates these myths and problems

·
Registered
84 Posts
LOL starve in two weeks, no, my albino just went 7 months with feeding.
Back on it now though. That wasnt the question though was it.

Starve was the wrong word, my point was do not only offer your baby royals food fortnightly as the require more food at this age of developement. Everyone on here is going to have a different opion as to right and wrong.
As its a forum its all about opion and my opion is, well see previous posts.

Everytime your royal eats see it as a bonus point because they arent known as picky feeders for nothing now are they ?????

Dunno about anyone elses royals but with mine, if i put four mice in their feedbox they wouldnt eat all four. Two is the most they have taken at one time. That was only as one had refused so was offered to the other.

Do you get pig snakes that will just eat and eat and eat evertime its offered?

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
had a look. and i should be feeding mine every 5 days. have put that site on my favs.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Every five days sounds ok, I was told weekly feeds would do,

·
Registered
508 Posts
according to that chart I'm feeding my full grown corn & rat too much, crap I wish I hadn't clicked that link now I'll be worrying about that now as well as bunged up popeye :cry:

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
lynne said:
i was told by the shop every seven days too. mine was hatched on july 7th, and he is taking two pinkies. am not starving him am i ??????[/quote

What snake do yo have Lynne?

I doubt very much that your snake is starved if you are feeding every seven days.
Over feeding can be as big if not a bigger problem than under feeding

John

·
Banned
1,685 Posts
he is a wee corn snake. he was hatched 7th july and he is 18 inches long,gets two pinkies every 7 days at the minute. what do you think?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts