Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would happen if I try my baby ( 4-5 month old ) rat snake on a fluff and it turns out to be too big ?

She has been happily taking two pinkys for 6 weeks or so now and the smaller pinks are dissapearing within seconds no trouble.

The larger pinks are taking a bit longer but even those arn't as much of a struggle as they were a few feeds ago.

Im sure I read that the food should be no more than 1 and a half times the biggest part of the snakes body ?

If this is correct then a fluff would seem to be ok however I cant help but compare her neck ( which is a lot smaller ) to the size of the fluff without thinking " theres no way shes gonna fit that in there "

So....What would happen if I were to try her with a fluff and it did happen to be too big ?

Regards,

·
Registered
380 Posts
if its too big it shouldnt take it!
stick to more smaller items and only occasionally give something larger as a change, not quite 1 and a half times the girth tho, this is just a bit much i feel, it will cause your snake stress if it struggles.

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
i usually go by the widest part of the body(and not 1 and a half). As been said, give 2.

If you give to large they may not take it and if they do might regurge later, which then means your gonna miss that feed and a feed the next week too(to give the snake a chance to recover)

·
Registered
257 Posts
The snake will eat something that is too big for them, so do not over do the size as this will just be regurged.

Good rule of thumb is 50% larger than the largest girth of the snake.

Twice the size is not really a good idea, however it would take something of that size.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The smaller pinks are way too small now. I fed her one last night after a larger pink, looked away for a few seconds, looked back and it had gone. Even checked the floor of the tank ( she was sat on the branch ) coz I thought she'd dropped it.

So maybe I'll feed her two of the larger pinks from now on instead of one big and one small ? Give it a while like that before I consider moving to a fluff.

How does that sound ?

Regards,

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
sounds like a good plan to me.

It wont be long at all until you upgrade to the next size.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If you can get rat pinkies, they are bigger (obv) than mice pinkes but have no hair/nails etc that may still upset a younger snake (purely at my opinion) also (i have been told) rats are better for snakes than mice, they are prob about the same size, if not smaller (which I think they slightly are), than fluffs, plus either to brain than fluffs (if you have to provoke a feeding response - this bit of the answer is not necessarily directed at you, just for other peoples reference should they need to know) if all that fails and you still don't think what she/he is eating is enough, 3 at a time is generally considered OK and long as the snake is lengthy and, in your consideration, able to take it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts