Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right i feed my 07 corn 2 large fuzzies every 5 days, but recently he has been searching for food on the fourth day so i been feeding him every 4 days now.

I want to feed him every 5 days, has anyone got any suggestions on how i can make him last 5 days.

Maybe try a small mouse will that work?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Only move him up size wise regarding his prey if he can handle a small mouse.

As a general rule of thumb you need to feed a prey animal no more than 1.5times the width of the body. If the two fuzzies you are feeding are not filling him up either try him on a small mouse (but only if he is big enough!) or increase the number of fuzzies to 3 every feed.

Or...you could just feed him more often. 2 fuzzies every 4days will be easier for your snake to digest that 3fuzzies in one sitting. It all depends on the size and width of the snake. If you could post a picture of him with a coin or something as a comparison it will really help.

Out of interest, why don't you want to feed him every 4 days??

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Just to add; an ideal size/amount for a meal should leave a slight bulge in the snakes stomach. Not a huge lump, not something you can only just make out; just a reasonably size noticable bulge. :)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok cool i might try him on a small mouse and see how he goes.

I just got told that a corn should be fed every 5 days, but maybe i heard wrong as i was excited about getting him

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Yes, generally hatchlings need to be fed every 5-7days; but this is a general idea. If your corn needs to feed every 4 days or will only eat every 10days then thats fine too.

But if what you are feeding isn't enough to last it 5days then the next thing to do is either increase the number or increase the size. Which sounds like the best plan of action; as long as you are confident she is ready.

Some snake will eat more often if offered food; so make sure she is genuinely in need of the extra food as overfeeding can lead to problems with extra fat etc and does reduce the lifespan.

best wishes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts