Reptile Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have a pair of Dumerils and i am having trouble getting one of them to feed, they are both kept in identical conditions but one of them has not eaten for nearly 2 months! i have tried every trick i can think of such as different sized food, different colors, scenting with lizards, in a dark bag over night, braining, different temps and humidity but to no avail does anybody have any more ideas that i can try before i resort to force feeding or tube feeding? any suggestions will be great thanks:cheers:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks i'll try that i want to try all i can before putting it through the stress of force/tube feeding:cheers:

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
2 months is not a long time, keep trying normal prey about every 10/14 days.
I would not personaly go the force feeding way unless it was a do or die option.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh don't worry i don't plan on going down the ff route just yet as the snake in question has only just started losing weight so i am not unduly worried just yet, i was just wondering if anybody had any ideas that i had not found out about in the years that i have been working and keeping reptiles.

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
Oh don't worry i don't plan on going down the ff route just yet as the snake in question has only just started losing weight so i am not unduly worried just yet, i was just wondering if anybody had any ideas that i had not found out about in the years that i have been working and keeping reptiles.
Just one idea ,not used it myself.
Get some hamster or multi bedding and sent the prey item with that, read it on here some where: victory:

·
Registered
9,215 Posts
Try taking out the water for a week, and then offer them a warm dripping wet food item.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
How big are they? Dont quote me on this but I beileve quail are good for getting them feeding. I know when I was looking after a friends' it eat quail reasonably well but was shite with everything else.

kat

·
Registered
8,687 Posts
Just a thought, i have a common boa not fed since i got him[a bout 4 weeks]
turned heat of last night till this morn , he is realy active now for the first time since i have had him will try feeding today will let you know what happens, Fingers crossed: victory:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
feeding

They're just over 3 ft only had them 3 months and they're 3yrs old so i'm assuming that they have never been great feeders cos they should be a fair bit bigger if they were for the age of them! i've tried chicks but not quail i'll give it a go! i'll keep everyone updated on the success or failure of getting this one eating and let you all know what if anything eventually works!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts