Reptile Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
i have 2 yellow bellied sliders and am concerned that the smaller one doesnt seem to be eating, i've had him for almost a week and he seems settled in his tank but i've only seen him eat once.
there is a seperate feeding tank for them, i've tried putting him in alone and with the other one- i've given them blood worms, pellets and fish but he's not interested in any of them. is it normal for turtles to not eat when they're in a new place or is there anything i can do to get him to eat?

·
Super Moderator
16,546 Posts
Yes, they can take a while to settle. If you are moving them in and out of the tank for feeding, whilst I appreciate it it saves on cleaning, it could be causing him to be stressed. I would take the one out that is eating for separate feeding, and leave the smaller one in the tank with his own food.

How old are they? You could put some pond plants and duckweed in the main tank for them to eat.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im not sure their age, but they are definatley hatchlings.
they have plants in the tank with them to eat when ever they want, i'll try him in the tank and see if he has anything- Thanks!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
agreed with stephen p,when i introduced a new turt i also was concerned because he wasnt eating,took 2 weeks before he grew in confidence and settled in to his new home,after that he ate fine.

steve

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
never actually had hatchlings myself.but as far as i know you feed them a good balanced diet every day until there juveniles,then every other day until you start feeding them about every 3 days or so.

steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts