Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just walked passed my viv and my female is flat and puffing out her beard, i know they do this when threatened, but she have NEVER done this before, is she threatened by something? and if so what? nothing has changed for her to change...

thanks

·
Registered
11,680 Posts
What are your temps, I have found that my little ones do this when it gets a bit hot but also they do it sometimes to help remove shed

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
40c in the basking 33ish abeyant and 27 cool side...

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the basking spot is 40 degrees c
the middle of viv is 33 degrees c
and the cooler side is 27 degrees c

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
104f basking, 91 ish warm side, and 80f cool side!

Is she permanently housed with the male? As she's next to him in the pics I'd say she's puffing up at him.

EDIT- Also, does the male always have a black beard?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Is she permanently housed with the male? As she's next to him in the pics I'd say she's puffing up at him.
shes been housed with the male for 2 years prior to me getting her and she has never puffed at him in the 4 weeks i have had her...

they normally coincide with each other very well, no fights, no biting nothing at all...

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
shes been housed with the male for 2 years prior to me getting her and she has never puffed at him in the 4 weeks i have had her...

they normally coincide with each other very well, no fights, no biting nothing at all...
Don't think you saw my edit, how often is the males beard black?

It doesn't matter how long beardies are kept together, they are naturally solitary and can become unhappy with being forced to co-habit at any time. It's the first subtle digns you need to look out for. If you see biting, fights etc then you've left it too late.

·
Registered
11,680 Posts

EDIT- Also, does the male always have a black beard?
That sounds more like it, I didn't notice the other one. Silly me over complicating things, that's probably it.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't think you saw my edit, how often is the males beard black?

It doesn't matter how long beardies are kept together, they are naturally solitary and can become unhappy with being forced to co-habit at any time. It's the first subtle digns you need to look out for. If you see biting, fights etc then you've left it too late.
the only time EVER i have seen him biting her is when i take them both out for a run around on the floor, the male puffs up his beard nods and bites the back of her neck, she just slowly bows, no waving, but as soon as i place them back in their viv he puffs back down and act as if each arnt there...

·
Registered
13,487 Posts
Is she due a shed? They do puff out when shedding also pop there eyes. Also some females can show dominant behaviors not as obvious as males But I have had females that head bob and beard up and be more dominant than the male.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the males beard isnt black unless i take them out....in the photo it was black, but thats cuz i normally get them out about this time, hence how i noticed it all in the first place.

and she never head bobs as violent as the male on the floor its just a very slow bow...

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
The males beard wouldn't turn black because he thinks he's coming out of the viv soon. It's more likely it was because of the female and she then puffed up at him as a warning. Or vise versa of course. I'm guessing you don't sit and watch them 24/7 so you can't know that the aggressive behaviour doesn't continue while they are in the viv. I would strongly advise anyone that has a male and female together to separate, and even more so in your case because of the behaviour you're seeing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts