Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had my beardie for about a year now, but before i got her she was living with a chilled out male and she was the dominant 1. I had her living with my male for about 9 months and they had spates of living realy well with eachother and then some bad times where he would be really moody and aggressive and that turned into him being like that alot towards her eventually so she lived in fear so i felt it best to get rid of him. The 1st couple of days of him being gone she didnt really eat or move, i took it as her pining for him, but she has been living on her own a couple of months now and shes just got worse. Not even touching veg anymore not even her favourite when i hold it out for her. She hardly moves so i have to put her up on to her basking spot so she can warm up properly. i think the only time she does move is to catch locusts, so im making sure im feeding them a good variety of fruits n vegs before i feed them to her.

Wouls she rather live in fear? .... i dont understand why she is this way now and i hate to see her like it :( i dont know what to do...

Do you think maybe a female beardie of the same size could help her as she has always lived with another beardie but then theres the chance they will not be compatible.

Can anybody help me with this problem?
Thank you

Karla and Bambam

·
Registered
281 Posts
Do you know if she has lost any weight? What size is ur viv and what are the temps?

·
Registered
643 Posts
I would get another beardie just yet and would look to cancelling out other sources of the problem.

Seperating them could have just been a coincidence with your current beardies behaviour because usually stress from bullying a beardie will usually perk up after seperation.

Have you ruled out anything medically with the dragon, is she poo'ing properly, does she look lethargic and sleeping constantly?

because she isn't eating, is she getting her calicum supliments?

Have the UV lighting been checked and temperatures within scope?

Regards Tung

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Before anything just check the usual culprits
Temperatures? 105-115Fbasking 90-95F hot end 85F cool end
UV - strength? Last changed? should be 10-12% and changed at least every 6 months.

Time of year can also be a factor - its getting chilly and brumation is common in reptiles. You can up the temps a bit in the viv to either slow down brumation or it can stop it.

If any of these arent perfect change them and monitor her. You can get fecal samples done fom a lab online if you check the general herp section theres a sticky in there with the website address - a lot cheaper than vets generally speaking.

Having said all this I am a believer in beardies enjoying company. Although naturally they are solitary animals - they arent in the wild and we tend to interact with them everyday so in my personal opinion I think they get used to company and enjoy. This obviously is not true for every beardie - every beardie is different. Mine all Ive found do like company.

One of my females died last year and her husband Mr.Scrat became what I can only describe as depressed. Wouldnt eat. Slept all day and all night. Had no energy. He was vet checked and found to be in perfect health. I cleaned the viv to ensure no scent of his Mrs was left but it didnt work. Sooo I went and got him a friend and after her quarentine put her in with him. Hes been fine ever since.

I do keep a very close eye on my 1.1 pairings so the females do not become stressed in case the males are being a bit randy and always have back-up vivs just incase. I do to some extent breed beardies so the occassional clutch of eggs doesnt bother me but if its not something you want I would get another female - if you choose to do so after checking everything I said first.

: victory:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, as soon as you lot said heat, i went and put the thermostat underneath the heater and yep the temp was the problem!! I dont know how it changed, its a ceramic heater, so ive lowered it and changed the viv so theres a pile of slate on the floor instead of raised so it heats up a treat. as soon as i sorted it she changed instantly, became bright eyed and started licking her lips so i gave her all her fave fruit and veg dusted with calci powder! It still doesnt heat quite as high anymore, but 25c higher than it did.

Im going to go out tomorrow and buy her a T-rex active heat lamp again, i find them much more trustworthy.

Thanks for the replies :) i'll see how her behaviour changes now before considering a friend for her!

Karla and a happier Bambam
xx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts