Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found my baby female chameleon dead in her tank this morning only had her for a week. for the past 2 days she seemed a bit lathargic with white blotches over her. I thought i'd leave her because she could be shedding her skin. woke up this morning and found her dead with lots of black marks on her, some pretty big. Does anyone know the reason why.

The shop even said where i bought her from '' we can't give you a refund but we can do you another one for half price''

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
hi tom, where r u located?

and what kind of viv were u keepin her in?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i'm from gravesend in kent. Because there only small i had a terrarium about 2 foot tall. She was kept with a male because the shop i bought them fom said male and female chams should be ok together. I can't see the male attacking her because she doesn't have any bite marks or anything on her.

·
Registered
664 Posts
hi there,

i just brought 2 baby female chameleons, unfortuantly i can not be of help as i dont know much at all and am still learning.. But just wanted to say im really sorry to hear about that:( must of been awful.. Shop was a bit cheeky tho, was the shop clean etc.. also how old was she?

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Oh no you've had some bad luck with that cham! have you spoken to the shop? they'll prbably replace her if you've only had her a little while. She must not have been right before you bought her. They are very good at hiding illness thats the problem with exotics. Really sorry mate, if you're still really stumbed get a necroscopy done.

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
your prolly goin to have to take her to the vets to determine cause of death.

sorry, maybe dehydrated? stressed?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
she couldn't have been dehydrated as i spray water in there 2 or 3 times a day

·
Registered
57 Posts
your cham

my boyfreidn has a male chameleon and i am currently doing a degree in animal care and personally i wouldnt have kept chameleons together unless you were breeding them, they are very solitary animals unless breeeding - not your fault, im saying the shop were wrong to say that to you! sounds to me like it must have been the shock, chameleons are suprisingly hard to keep in captivity, despite peeps saying they have had them for ages or woteva, they are hard, could have been temps, huimidity not right, one qwrong thing and could have died!

plus, most (not all) chams are wild caught and possibly the shopck of going from completely perfect set up (natural hab) to a just "GOOD ENOUGH" home must be shocking to any animal.

just a few suggestions, always worth reading further about tho, i couldnt say for certain. sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i am really sorry to say this, but there is a good chance she died becasue you kept two chameleons in one viv...

i think i said on my post to you... that most people i know who have tried keeping 2 in one viv.. end up with either two vivs or one chameleon...

yes sure, i accept there are people who do keep yemens paired or in trios.. but you will find that the vast majority of yemen keepers keep their animals singly.. SOME do ok in shared vivs.. but most do not..

if the male was the dominant one, then he will have had the better food, the better spot under the basking light.. the better everything.. the little female would have looked fine yes.. but chameleons are very very good at hiding the fact they are not doing so well.. right up until the time you find them dead.. a young chameleon can go down hill very very quickly.. in a matter of days.. and they are masters at hiding it from you.

my honest opinion, and i know you are not going to like it an awful lot, but i say this for the animals sake.... is that stress killed her.. stress from sharing a viv with another chameleon.. a stressed chameleon will not eat properly, will not sleep properly.. will not bask or thermoregulate properly... not only that but they will not show obvious signs of it, until its too late

please i beg you.. if you get another chameleon, please please please keep it on its own.

please please!!!! with a cherry on top??

Nerys

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Black marks are indictive of bruising unfotunately...males are very rarely aggressive towards the female but they can do some severe damage if they head butt...

It's a load of nonsense that two chams cannot be kept together but you DO have to keep a close eye in them at all times for any sense of aggression..i have 4 pairs of yemens....the only commonly available species you cannot keep together are flap necks as they are very aggressive.

How old is the male? if he is older than her then that is probably the reason why this tragedy occurred....

If you do not have the time they need, then do not keep a pair as like others have said it can end badly...

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
most shops are after the £££...sad but true..there are some good ones out there but unfortunately too many bad ones..

With chams (as with any rep) is all about research, unfortunately a lot of the research contradictes each other and is often hard to find the correct info.

Takes experience and some hard lessons to often know what is best for your rep...

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
sounds like she was bullied 2 chams together is fine but u need alot of space.we had a female with our male and they werew both free roaming and only went near each other for breeding..we had seperate basking spots etc.sadly the female also died but of egg binding:( space is the key with two chams together.sorry for your loss.xxminxxx:( :(

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for everyones replies. I have learnt my lesson from this now, but still can't get over the fact that shes gone. I only had her for a week but i got really close to her as most ppl do with all their animals.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
hi there,

i just brought 2 baby female chameleons, unfortuantly i can not be of help as i dont know much at all and am still learning.. But just wanted to say im really sorry to hear about that:( must of been awful.. Shop was a bit cheeky tho, was the shop clean etc.. also how old was she?
i always thought that was not recommended. chams both male and female get territorial with the same sex cham with them. didnt think it was advisable anyway, but then again, i may be wrong :smile:

edit: i missed the first page some how so i missed belial say they can be kept together. Not something i'd personally do, my cham headbutts me quite alot lol when i go near him unless he's after food :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts