Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
Decided to read my new copy of 'The Leopard Gecko Manual' cover to cover today and there was something in the breeding sections that confused me,im not planning on breeding but if someone could clarify this for me id be grateful.To quote the book:

'Females with developing eggs visible through the abdominal wall tend to be more receptive to male breeding attempts'

My question is this... do females develop eggs even if they have not been with a male? and if so do the still lay them infertile or are they re-absorbed back into the body of not fertlised?

Thanks guys just something i came across that made me curious and was killing me trying to find the answer. :D

Cheers Guys and a MERRY CHRISTMAS :D

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hi Vicky,

Leopard geckos can p[roduce eggs inside them by saving and holding onto male sperm for uopto a year. So if your female has ben placed with a male, and they both got some gecko loving and removed him afterwards, she can produc a egg at any time that she wants too. This of course is not always a favoured apprach for professional breeders, and also is not gurannteed that sh will produce a egg if she has had loving with a male, entiley up to her.

If she is a first timer female, her egg could be infertile but it also could not, you will have t see. Also if she is a experienced female/mother then her eggs if she lays should be fertile.

Hopefully thisnhelps you

any more questions please ask.

J

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so just to check...if she has not been with a male she will not produce eggs?
Just checking coz the way i read it in the book sounded like they could produce egss with out a male.

Im not planning on breeding and im not getting my first gecko til feb...just wanted to check these things out thats all
Thanks alot

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok thanks, will she lay them or just absorb back into her body if they are not fertlised?

Would just like to be ready thats all so its not so much of a shock

thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts