Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The female royal that I have been breeding is going into shed. I know they shed before they lay their eggs but what are the chances that this is not the pre lay shed? Has anyone had experience of them shedding more than once after breeding and before laying?

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They don't always follow the books, some ovulate without shedding - ovulation is pretty obvious when it happens, it looks like the snake's eaten a baked bean can. How many locks have there been and when did they start breeding?

Rach
The ever reliable Rach, thanks

They started breeding in december some time and were in together for 6 weeks or so. 3 days in 3 days out. I saw three locks but dont know how many more there could have been. I was away for a week as well so might have missed some that week.
Since i split her and the male and raised the temps back up she has been eating like a pig which I hear is a good sign. She is starting to look a bit fatter than she has before but I dont kow if that is just me.

·
Registered
579 Posts
time between pre ovu shed and the actual ovulation can be 6 to 8 weeks. all my gravid females have stopped eating. if u are still feeding it's best to feed smaller prey than u would normally do

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks people. Not too sure how to palpate to be honest. I might look into that.

·
Registered
579 Posts
if u search on youtube there's a film of ralph davies showing how to do it. however, I've tried it a couple of times and I can't get the hang of it.

I just wait and look for other tell tale sign, coz I worry that I'm upsetting the females with me trying over and over again

·
Registered
35,069 Posts
if u search on youtube there's a film of ralph davies showing how to do it. however, I've tried it a couple of times and I can't get the hang of it.

I just wait and look for other tell tale sign, coz I worry that I'm upsetting the females with me trying over and over again
same I have tried on my female carpet and I can't feel bugger all :lol2:

·
Registered
579 Posts
I can only feel with my thumb so i do things back to front
I've read that from u before, so I've given that a go as well. I do feel bumps but I can't for the life of me tell if that's just the snake tensing up or if they are the follicles

@bladeblaster, I'm so glad I'm not the only one :lol2:

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I dont have any sound on my work pc so will watch that video when i get home.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts