Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...

very interested in ferrets just need to know some things
firstly...where are they kept? indoors or outdoors and what type of enclosure do they need?

secondly what do they eat? how often do they excersise and do they have any special requirements?

any help would be great thanks : victory:

Aimee

·
Registered
385 Posts
ferrets can be kept indoors or out, they require daily handling, idealy they should be kept in twos, the best starter pair is 2 jills.
they require a good enclosure min for a 2 ferrtes is 4 x 2 x 2, they can be litter trained.
fettets cant stand it when it get too warm and can suffer seriousley with heat stroke.
special requirements are jills need to be taken out of season this can be done with a hob ferrets (entire male), a hobble (versectomised male) or a simple jill jab from the vet.
they are carnivourse and should be fed a high protien feed. they can be fed raw meat, ie beef,
i feed mine a complet ferret feed which are like dog/cat biscutes but designed for fetters, i also feed small amounts of liver, eggs, day old chicks, and most importantly whole rabbits in the winter months when im working them.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
The post above covers the main things you asked for but I would like to add the other way to stop a jill (and the safest way) is to have her neutered, the op costs 37 pounds from my vet and obviously it's a one off cost and could save the jill's life if she doesn't come out of season any of the other ways :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
and when they have fun they can get a little nippy, but they love a good run around, and start jumping all over the place.
I personaly think that a 6x2x2 hutch is better, started with a 4x2x2 but now have a pair in the 6x2x2 and its much better.
I dont think sex matters, but finding a ferret suitable for you, Ive got 5 boys and prefer them as they seem more chunky and lazy than jills lol.

·
Registered
468 Posts
i would say a pair of neutered males are the best starter ferrets, females are usually more mischevious and hard to handle, males tend to be a lot lazier

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
4x2x2 is ok but he bigger the better all ferrets need out time (time out of cage/hutch) to play and run some take them on walk (me :D) but will need a CD(canine distemper) jab so they do not catch it! i feed mine a varied diet of rabbit chicks chicken mice pork lamb beef on the bone is best ad they can chew the bone and it keeps their teeth well!
males have a musky smell about them untill they are neuterd! then they loose their smel but still have a smell like all animals!
gills will need to be bred have the gill jab or be mated my a versectomy male to take the gill out of season! if you do not do this it could resort as in one dead female!
females tend to be smaller and fast and play full then makes tend to me larger and more layed back!
it is sugessted that you keep 2 or more spayed/castrated ferrets as they like to live in groups and play altho my mate she has a male on his own but he is home all day and it only gose in its cage when sleeping and at night and when no one is home!

any more info needed join the fefo FerretsForum.co.uk - If you want to talk ferrets, this is the place! my user name i that same as hear it is a really nice and usefull sight people and really helpful and nice always willing to help!

Josh:D

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Ive got 1 jill and 1 hob and they are as described above...the jill is simply mental and will run a riot every day she comes out!! Where as the hob will attempt to join in with her for about 5 seconds and then decide hes had enough and simply lay on the floor until something interesting happens :lol2:

Got them both in a 2 tier hutch and they are kept indoors, got them both neutered/spayed (cant remember the right terms now :blush:). The cost can all add up considering a ferret can be picked up for next to nothing but they are worth every penny...THE most fun ive ever had from any pets, they will give you a laugh a minute!!

As far as food goes they get the special ferret biscuits as mentioned above but they do get the odd treat, Iams for kittens (in gravy) being their favourite.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts