Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I defrosted Nyokas mouse the way I always do... it was in a pot, put on the radiator for a couple of hours.
When I opened the pot to feed her, OMG... puke city... the mouse smelt absolutely rancid, its stomach was open and most of its innards were half out. I guess its hard to notice problems when a mouse is frozen solid :?

Anyway, I have Ny ready to feed... Whats the quickest way to thaw another mouse for her?

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
put one in a sandwich bag and put it in hot (not boiling) water, it should defrost in about an hour, maybe less, depends on the size of the mouse.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
i take mine out of the freezer then put them in the airing cupboard a slow defrost works better than a fast one.dont put ya mice in boiling water as this may cause a split!!!! warm water works first for 10 mins then fresh warm water for another 20 mins.works for me. :D

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
put it in warm water and left it on the shelf by the radiator..

Have just given it to Nyoka, and of all ruddy things, after all this hassle, I dont think she is going to take it as she is looking like someone has rolled her in talc! I think my baby is about to shed.... her tummy is a pale salmon colour too! :evil: perfect ruddy timing! :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
beautiful snake...if u think she is away to shed i wouldnt offer her anything.has her eys gone blue yet??? if her tummys pink then id leave it till shes shed. :) have u tried black mice?? mine will not eat whites it refuse point blank!!!! :)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
get that humidity up think your girl is about to shed :!: just look at that eye :!: she will look amazing after the shed remember the pics fluffy :wink:

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
weeminx said:
beautiful snake...if u think she is away to shed i wouldnt offer her anything.has her eys gone blue yet??? if her tummys pink then id leave it till shes shed. :) have u tried black mice?? mine will not eat whites it refuse point blank!!!! :)
If you look at the second pic, I think her eyes are just clouding...
I have only had my girl about 2 months, but so far, she will only show real interest in white mice. she will take brown, but definately prefers white!

Fussy little sod...

Humidity right up now... just given a spray with some warm water I keep in a little spritzer bottle in her viv...

Heres hoping we get a good shed..... :2thumb:

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
after a good shed she will be hungry BUT please bear in mind at this time of year they slow doon in feeding and royals can be quite fussy im glad urs eats whites.(mine will not touch em) nearly got to the stage of buying a gerbil just to rub it on a dead mouse lol!!!! till i found the black mice lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts