Reptile Forums banner

Few bearded dragon questions!

704 views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  xemx 
#1 ·
Hey guys
I have 3 bearded dragons 2 females 3years old and 1 male 2 years old. I wanted to ask a few questions appreciate any help.

Whats the average weight for a fully grown adult male and female?
How much food do they like to eat as only one of my females eats a lot of veg and the other two just pick at it every now and again!?
and
whats the best thing to feed a picky beardy!!!

Thanks
Emma

#2 ·
Whats the average weight for a fully grown adult male and female?VARIES CAN BE ANYTHING REALLY MINES CURRNELTY 350 (i think)

How much food do they like to eat as only one of my females eats a lot of veg and the other two just pick at it every now and again!?
AGAIN DEPENDS ON THE BEARDY ITS SELF

whats the best thing to feed a picky beardy!!!
TRY A BIT OF ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING MINE ONCE STOLE SOME CHOCOLATE!! LOL

#3 ·
my female beardy is 2 years old and weighs about 300g. she picks at her greens a little and doesnt seem too fussed about livefood UNTIL i put lobster roaches in there! she loves them. she does eat more greens when i put her outside in the summer though, maybe because of all of the natural basking light.

#4 ·
hi emma. my beardies aren't adults yet, so i cant say about weight. As for the feeding though, as someone else said it varies from beardy to beardy.

my male for example, likes a little bit of most things, although he hates cauliflower, he throws it all over the place!!
where as the female loves it. they both go mad for any thing that moves, they even mistake my wedding ring for locusts and lick it like crazy, so i gotta take it off to handle them. wife thinks im having an affair with the female:lol2:.

just keep trying different things, they are omnivorous, so no doubt you'll find something soon. try locusts if you haven't already, they are like the staek of the bug world lol

viz

#6 ·
They have all gone picky all of a sudden they like the big locusts and only go for crix when they can be bothered!!! They love their worms!
Im going to go to the supermarket later today with a list and see what i can try them on hopefully they'll really like something. I think im going to reduce the amount of crix i put in it might encourage their want for veg! They love rasberries expensive taste!!
So i guess il just have to see how it goes.

I weighed them last night and they are all over 400g i think i wrote it down somewhere!

Lol mine stole abit of bran flake once!! cheak of it they loved it tho!

Thanks everyone ill go shopping later see what i can find!

#7 ·
Mine went for my engagement ring once!!! thought it was so funny!!

#8 ·
ahhh, i think i see the problem. how often do you feed them raspberries, cause i'll tell you somethink, given the choice of lovely fresh soft, sweet raspberries, or some old cabbage i know what i would hold out for.

the other thing is, as someone told me yesterday, if locusts are steak, and crix are sausages and veg is veg. the order of preference is simple.

the trick is to keep the expensive stuff as rare treats, that way they dont learn to expect them:2thumb:

#9 ·
Oh Yes rasberries are strictly as a treat every few months! as tesco put them on 2 for £4 every now and again lol and thats the only time i buy them for myself! Im going to lower the amount of crix they have as they always have them so i think its too much! Locusts and worms again every now and again not every week.
Will try find some tasty veg tonight for them! :2thumb:

#11 ·
I hear alot of people use this compination! will try that tonight see what they think and let you know! fingers crossed :2thumb:

#12 ·
As adults they should be on 75% veg, and only 25% livefood. I've noticed mine don't seem to eat a lot, but are strictly limited to locusts a couple of days a week only. They definitely won't touch crickets anymore, so I don't even bother buying them.

If they don't eat the veg - and they can be picky somedays, I don't up the livefood. Too much protein isn't good for them.

#13 ·
yup mine love the combination above.
another classic is dandelions, evry beardy seems to loves these, and they're free!!.
best part is, if someone catches you picking them in the garden, you just explain, and they normally are more than happy for you o "weed" their garden for free. everyones a winner:no1:

#14 ·
yeah mine like dandelions! not many about at the moment! will look for some of those again later! got to get celery for my birds as well!!!

Definately going to cut back on crix :D

#15 ·
Cant comment on weight yet, not quite an adult and haven't weighed it recently.

As for being picky, my BD reluctently eats the ready mixed bags of veg. But absolutlely loves mint and parsley lol. He refuses to eat crix, thankfully the locusts are breeding to he has locust, morios occas waxies.

#16 ·
anyone tell me how they prepare their butternut squash?? peel it, slice it, cube it?? with or without the seeds?? never eaten it myself so wouldnt know!!!

#17 ·
I just found a post on it - going to try slices and some cubes :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.