Reptile Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
So how come ponds that are fibre glassed & under water 24/7 dont kill all the fish?
Has the background been sealed do you know. There are several companies that make fibre glass backgrounds for reptiles & aquarium use. Possibly contact one & see what they say. Might be able to tell you what to use to seal yours if it hasn't been already.
Can you not put the viv out side to air at all?
as long as it is cured properly, and allowed to out-gas for long enough, then it can be made safe - some resins take longer than others, and some of them are never safe used in this way; not all resins are equal, some are safe, some are not...even the safe ones need appropriate time to cure and out-gas to become safe

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
as long as it is cured properly, and allowed to out-gas for long enough, then it can be made safe - some resins take longer than others, and some of them are never safe used in this way; not all resins are equal, some are safe, some are not...even the safe ones need appropriate time to cure and out-gas to become safe
Totally agree.

Tbh, i find it hard to believe a business would make/sell something without knowing it was 100% safe.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Totally agree.

Tbh, i find it hard to believe a business would make/sell something without knowing it was 100% safe.
unfortunetly it happens all the time, which is why the UK/EU have such a massive number of regulations in place - the background in this thread shouldnt still be curing when it reaches the customer imo, it should stay with the manufacturer until it is finished and really is safe, espcially given that its for reptiles, which are far more sensitive to smells(tastes) than we are

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Totally agree.

This is just a small independent pet shop, not a big well known store. Despite numerous requests they will not tell me any specific details about the type of resin they used, this is what makes me question it's safety. If there was no question of it's safety they would be happy to give me the details I requested surely......?

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
This is just a small independent pet shop, not a big well known store. Despite numerous requests they will not tell me any specific details about the type of resin they used, this is what makes me question it's safety. If there was no question of it's safety they would be happy to give me the details I requested surely......?
yep, they should do, did Trading Standards have anything to say?

How is it smelling now, any less? sometimes can take a long time...i've got a Viv that has sealant which has been curing for 8 weeks now, and it still stinks; getting bored of waiting now, I should have gone with pond liner like I was going to originally :whistling2:

·
Registered
735 Posts
Who is the manufacterer, because if its aqua-maniac, it will be safe as ive been using them for the last 3 years for lizard vivariums

·
Registered
372 Posts
That hazard sheet is likely to be for General Purpose Resin, GPR, the catalyst is called organic peroxide. It's dangerous while it is curing and can be heat treated to release the styrene to make less dangerous. However I don't believe that this can be done in a viv with a heat lamp, it needs to be done professionally with the correct temperatures. I don't know a huge amount about how they produce fibreglass vivs and accessories in industry but you have not been sold something safe.
Remove the background if you can and try and save your viv.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
yep, they should do, did Trading Standards have anything to say?

How is it smelling now, any less? sometimes can take a long time...i've got a Viv that has sealant which has been curing for 8 weeks now, and it still stinks; getting bored of waiting now, I should have gone with pond liner like I was going to originally :whistling2:
The smell isn't any less once the heat lamp is turned on. It's been 7 weeks now. Trading Standards have only given me very general advice but basically their advice is to try to obtain a refund through the small claims court. But I can't prove that the background is safe or unsafe without an expert and I don't quite know what else I can do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Who is the manufacterer, because if its aqua-maniac, it will be safe as ive been using them for the last 3 years for lizard vivariums
This is a custom made background and the shop won't give me any details of the manufacturer or the materials they used.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
That hazard sheet is likely to be for General Purpose Resin, GPR, the catalyst is called organic peroxide. It's dangerous while it is curing and can be heat treated to release the styrene to make less dangerous. However I don't believe that this can be done in a viv with a heat lamp, it needs to be done professionally with the correct temperatures. I don't know a huge amount about how they produce fibreglass vivs and accessories in industry but you have not been sold something safe.
Remove the background if you can and try and save your viv.
The only instructions they gave me were to 'leave the heat lamp on' and said that it would be cured in 4-5 days. The only thing he told me was that he did not use an epoxy resin as it's toxic and that there are hundreds of catalysts, he also said that the smell is coming from the fibre glass and not the resin. To be honest this is all like another language to me I don't understand any of it but just wish I'd gone to someone reputable :(

·
Registered
344 Posts
You may be able to get a reading with a regular VOC monitor if the ionization potential of the chemical is low enough. This would give you solid proof that the product is not safe if you take them to court.
Confined space rescue teams, painting companies, chemists, and such usually have a VOC monitor. I'm sure if you asked around you would be able to find someone who can take a quick reading if you brought the tank to them.
Have you mentioned to the pet store that you plan to go to court over the cost of the item? Most times they will work something out so that it does not create bad publicity.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
You may be able to get a reading with a regular VOC monitor if the ionization potential of the chemical is low enough. This would give you solid proof that the product is not safe if you take them to court.
Confined space rescue teams, painting companies, chemists, and such usually have a VOC monitor. I'm sure if you asked around you would be able to find someone who can take a quick reading if you brought the tank to them.
Have you mentioned to the pet store that you plan to go to court over the cost of the item? Most times they will work something out so that it does not create bad publicity.
Thank you. I'm not sure I know anyone who would have a VOC monitor but will ask around.

The shop have not responded to my past 3 emails so, following Trading Standards advice, I have posted at letter to them sent recorded delivery and advised them that if they will not refund my money or at the very least give me the information that I have requested about the type of resin they used then I will take the matter further.

I gave them 7 days to respond which is up on Friday and haven't had a response so far and I doubt that I will - I think they think I'm bluffing. The next step will be the small claims court which initially would mean me paying out £30 pounds or so but then if I lose the case I'm out of pocket. It's making me question if it's worth pursuing at all and just cutting my losses but then on the other hand I think I've been treated appallingly and that they should not be producing these backgrounds if they are indeed dangerous to the reptiles.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Thank you. I'm not sure I know anyone who would have a VOC monitor but will ask around.

The shop have not responded to my past 3 emails so, following Trading Standards advice, I have posted at letter to them sent recorded delivery and advised them that if they will not refund my money or at the very least give me the information that I have requested about the type of resin they used then I will take the matter further.

I gave them 7 days to respond which is up on Friday and haven't had a response so far and I doubt that I will - I think they think I'm bluffing. The next step will be the small claims court which initially would mean me paying out £30 pounds or so but then if I lose the case I'm out of pocket. It's making me question if it's worth pursuing at all and just cutting my losses but then on the other hand I think I've been treated appallingly and that they should not be producing these backgrounds if they are indeed dangerous to the reptiles.
local newspaper? baring in mind that defamation is often expensive, if you cant prove something absolulty...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just been doing research for naturalistic backgrounds etc and came across this thread. How did things turn out in the end Jan15? Surely the smell has gone by now,or did you end up going to court?

I feel bad for women who get treated like this,especially with a son who's condition must make things extra stressful. Being a 6' 5" strapping guy I tend to get amazingly good after sales care.:whistling2:

21 - 36 of 36 Posts