Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has 5 bull snakes housed together, they have been fine for a long time but now one of the males is biting one of the females. He has rehoused the offending male but he wants them housed together. Is it normal for them to bite (its not really a bite, its more of 'who are you? sort of nip)? Will it stop? Didn't draw blood or anything, just annoyed her.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Sounds like breeding behaviour? :lol:

I found this:

When the female becomes receptive, courtship typical of the genus will ensue, with the male steadily wriggling his body along the female's dorsum, and occasionally biting the females' head and neck before and during actual copulation. Eggs can be laid 6 to 10 weeks after the last successful mating, and are generally 2" to 3" in length, approximating a small-to-medium hen's egg. A typical clutch is 6 to 10 eggs, with 15 or 16 being the most accurately recorded maximum. (Larger clutches from the wild have been noted in the literature, but these are now believed to be the efforts of more than one female at the same nest burrow.)

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Id be inclined to agree with that - bulls are quite rough and tumble snakes anyway :lol:
However he needs to observe them carefully to make certain this is breeding behaviour and not aggression, I wouldnt like for him to lose a snake :(

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How long would you need to incubate the eggs for? And what are the incbation temps?

Whats the time period is the brumation period? (from and until when) Should they be fed?

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Incubation is usually cited at around 27 degrees C for 60-70 days.

During brumation the snakes shoould not be fed - they should be left with no food for at least 2 weeks to clear any waste from them, then drop the temperature gardually to around 50 degrees F. Most people do this in november and bring them slowly out of brumation around january.
Snakes should have access to fresh water during the brumation period but should consume nothing else.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts