Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read somewhere that running 2 fish filters 24 hours a day, 7 days a week costs over £300 in electric!! Is that true?? I run 2, one for my cold tank and one for the tropical. I guess with the heater running and the air stones im looking at about £400 a year to run to tanks. :cry:

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
i run my two filters non stop and it doesnt cost hardly anything even if you have heaters they have a thermostat which turns them off at the desired temp

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i thought it sounds like quite a lot of £. I was only wondering cos i'll be moving out soon and I'll have to pay the electricity bill :lol:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Take a look at the power rating on the filter. Most would be around the 10 Watt mark. Compare that to your standard 100W light bulb. This uses 10 times the power of the filter. So no, your filter shouldn't add that much to you electric bill. It is likely that the heater in your tropical tank would use more than the filters.

Duzzie.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My electric bill is £100 a month :shock: but that includes 5 tanks plus the snake. One extra plug won't make much difference at all but if you need to cut back you can always remove the bubble wall all or most of the time. The filters should provide enough surface agitation and O2

1 - 5 of 5 Posts