Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I'm new to the forums and I know a lot of expert advice is given everyday! I have just got a new 160L tank and want to get a new external filter. I would like to get a decent one but I would like a budget of around £80 including media.

I have two cute mississippi map turtles who are around two years old!

Thanks in advance

:)

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Welcome :D

With that budget, I would say get the Eheim Classic 2217. It's rated for up to 600L, so it will last you through an upgrade as well. I would be recommending one for at least 300-400L just now, but that would of course need replaced later, so better to get bigger now. Especially since you have 2 poo machines. :D

You can get it from Zooplus for about £75 delivered. Not sure what media it comes with from there, but for £13 you can get a 15Kg bag of Alfagrog (Used in Koi pond filters) from Dobbies (if you have Dobbies, if not any garden centre selling pond stuff will probably do it, but price will vary) and that would be all the media you really need.

No need to spend on chemical filtration, or the bio balls or other biomedia. Alfagrog does the job and is far far cheaper for a LOT more :)

Edit: Alternatively, you could look at box pond filters. You'd get one rated for thousands of litres plus your alfagrog for less than your budget :) They have to be above water level though, so a bit trickier in a tank.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
I agree, spend a little more than your budget and get the Eheim Classic 2217 and a sack of Alfagrog, you could get a smaller filter which will be cheaper and would do for now, but your turts are going to need a bigger tank at some point, and getting a bigger filter now will delay having to upgrade that too.

Or the box filter is another good option.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts