Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, have a small musk turtle and have a few questions:

1) i have flitration.... is it a good idea to have a small heater, my room can get cold in winter as thats the way i like it?

2) if i get a small heater would adding some golden apple snails help keep glass/ornaments clean while being safe for my little fella?

3) he loves his bloodworm, but still utterly refuses pellet food. Ive given up giving it to him as all it does is pollute the water.... can i give him things like brine shrimp and other invertabrate fish food?

4) he has grown a tiny amount in the year or so ive had him.... how long should it take him to reach his full size? he's about 5-7cms long at the moment.
thankyou.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Yes you can add a heater, set to 20-21°C

Snails are likely to be eaten as Musks are primarily molluscivorous.

You really need to get it eating a proper diet, growth rate is linked to diet amongst other things, and it'll grow slowly if it's on a poor diet, it could also affect it's long term health.

How long have you tried letting it go without any food before offering pellets? And what pellets have you tried?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nutrafin turtle pellets - and he's gone for a good week and still refuses them.

your right, he loves his little snails. I often put live ones in for him to munch.

i have just spotted these products and would like to know what you think?

Zoo Med Can O'Snails | Pets at Home

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Live snails are much better as they trigger your turt's natural hunting behaviour, they can't be relied on to provide a proper balanced diet though.

I would let it go longer without food, a week is not very long at all if it's being stubborn, I've had turts hold out for a month or more! Then try it on different pellets.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh my... i dont want to starve him... im so worried about him as it is. I mean i give him bloodworm cubes and wuffs them down, and he eats all his live snails.... im gonna give him som brine shrimp and see if he will eat them and i have live plants for him to nibble...

i dont feel like a very good turtle mummy. This is my first turtle so i dont have anything to compare against so i know he is healthy.

Can you give me some tips of spotting whether he is malnourish, or how spot if he is ill?

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
There's no way it'll starve if you let it go longer than a week without food, it's far more likely to suffer from a poor diet which can cause all sorts of long term problems, you really do need to get it eating properly.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what pellets do your turtles prefere?

and is it better they have floating pellets or sinking ones?

can you recommend something that may be more appetising to him that nutrafin?

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Those are the pellets that I use mostly, you may need the hatchling ones though if it's really small. I find mine go for for both floating and sinking pellets.

·
Premium Member
4,677 Posts
Zoomed's pelleted turtle foods are excellent, as is reptomin.

I agree with Graham, you need to be cruel to be kind, and withold your turtles favourite foods and just offer pellets, until it gives in and takes them.

Feed snails, earthworms, small bits of trout or prawn ocassionally as TREATS only.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
they do a 'growth formula' for little ones, as far as i know my little boy is only about a year old now. Ill get those. they look much more yummy than the nutra fin stuff, and more his mouth size.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ill order a tub now infact.... ill get some fresh snails tomorrow and some new plants and oooo wish me luck! i want him to be a big handsome turtle.

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Well he's a Musk, so he's never going to be "big"!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i ws told to expect about 5inchs and a very very long life span. is this right?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ohhh one more question

what substrate do you use in you tanks? Is normal natural (unpainted) aquarium gravel ok?

·
Super Moderator
16,968 Posts
5" is about right for a male. Had he been a female Cooter or even Slider she would reach 12" +, so when we say ...."that's not big..." - that is what is meant!

I wouldn't use gravel as they can unintentionally eat it which cause impaction. All our tanks are bare bottomed as its easier for cleaning.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
really? i mean i thought it would be good for him to forage in? and he has claws so he can wear them down scrabbling about?

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
You can use a thin layer of slate chips, they're too big to be ingested and they will spend quite a lot of time rooting around looking for food amongst them.

Properly cared for you can expect a Musk to live 30 years or more.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hmmm slate chips. that would make the tank look pretty too! ill have to have a look when i go to the pet shop.

What live plants do you like to use?

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Go to a garden centre for slate chips, much cheaper than the petshop!

I use Elodea for my Musks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts