Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of our goldfish i think has fin rot hes got black blotches over him
can this pass to the other goldfish and wat is the treatment ??

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
black blotches doesn't sound like in rot, but it could be.
you can buy "anti fungus & finrot" its just a bottle of something, and put it in your tank. Go to your local pet/fish shop and they should have some, if not you could maybe order some off the net.
Hope hes better soon :D

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
no problem anytime :wink:

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Get on the net (or find a shop which stocks it) and buy pimafix (blue bottle, company is called API)

tip top treatment from fungus

Thats a phrase you don't here enoughisn't it; Tip top. lol

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
fin rot is exatlly wat is says the fins look like there being eaten away and they can have blood streaked finsremember when you treat for it take your carbon filter out

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its strange its just loads of black blotches over his body which are gettin worse
started at his mouth and is now spreading
will we need to seperate him from the oters?they havent shown any signs but just incase

·
Registered
664 Posts
We keep parrot fish and the same happens to them, they get black spots all over them that are under the skin, they can spread overnight and then sometimes dissapear. I thought that this was only somthing that could be found in parrot fish but i am not a expert! it is a parasite that lives in the fish and can come to surface or be brought on by poor water quality or stress. if you have a testing kit test the ammonia and nitrite levels.. they should all read 0.00mg but can go up to 10.00mg if it is above this then i would do a water change and test again. I would test the nitrate also as this should be around the 50.00mg mark, our tap water is ruffly between 40.00 and 50.00 this is fine for tropical or fresh water fish.. Did you notice any black Spots when you brought the fish? I have used melafix before but strongly advise against it as it has killed every fish that i have put in contact with it. I give my parrot fish a salt water bath i keep them in there for about 2-3 mins and then take them out, any fish can withstand a little salt for a short duration, the dosage will be on the pack.. This kills any desease that may be living on the fish. it has worked for my parrot fish.. Do you have a filter in your tank?

emily

1 - 9 of 9 Posts