Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heeeheee, well I caved in and ordered 2 baby musks, because nobody anywhere remotely close to me was needing rid of any. So I ordered them while I could. So, I've been faffing around getting their tank ready (am collecting them on Friday, but they're already added to my sig..:whistling2:) and thought I'd post a pic for you all. Any suggestions welcome too.

Still have to get some live plants, a piece of bogwood, aquarium background for all sides except the front and a few more pebbles.

The best bit is, so far it's cost me absolutely nothing :2thumb: Got the tank for free from Gumtree, already had a spare filter, heater, UVB bulb, basking bulbs and clampy lampys, as well as various corkbark bits. The pebbles and floating wood I got from the beach today, then spent a wonderful afternoon scrubbing and boiling them, much to the OH's amusement. And I have a whole box of artificial foliage!

Didn't even need to buy any new extension leads or timer switches. Well chuffed!!

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
If they're very small I would have the water a lot shallower than that to start with, and add several bunches of oxygenating pondweed for them to climb and hide in.

Do you know what size they will be? You may be surprised when you see them!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You clever girl you, bet you are well chuffed! :2thumb:

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, I think I will be. I know they're about 1.5 inches (so I've been told!) but I think I'll still be surprised when I see them so small. I need to empty some of the water out, it rose a lot when I added all the pebbles. I measured so the water level will be about 10 inches, and that's where I put the corkbark. So, ideally, I'll be keeping it at 10 inches deep. Will that be okay for them, if they are indeed at least 1.5 inches?

I'm going to [email protected] tomorrow with my mum to sort out a fishy birthday present for my auntie, so am going to get a whole load of plants then. Am also planning to get a few more bits, so they have resting/climbing places at various levels, from bottom to top, if you know what I mean! :)

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You clever girl you, bet you are well chuffed! :2thumb:
I am :) cos I'm so skint right now!!

Am so excited too. Trying to think of names for them, and am wishing I bought 3, cos then they could be the 3 Musketeers :lol2:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I am :) cos I'm so skint right now!!

Am so excited too. Trying to think of names for them, and am wishing I bought 3, cos then they could be the 3 Musketeers :lol2:
I think you are an amazing young lady, I really do! The 3 Musketeers, sounds like my two friends and me :lol2:

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you are an amazing young lady, I really do! The 3 Musketeers, sounds like my two friends and me :lol2:
:blush: aww, thankies!

I couldn't really have got 3 though, cos then I would have wanted 4. I like things in even numbers! It's something that has developed further since I got my first turt, which is a good job cos I'd be b*ggered if I had to house 2 of her right now :lol2:

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
:lol2: who's a spoilt little girl then!!!! I'm soooooo bloody jealous!!! :Na_Na_Na_Na:

My hubby has jst told me not to get any ideas :whistling2::whistling2::whistling2: cheeky git as if I would!!! I'm very happy with my new little hermies and my hoggy will be here in a couple of weeks :2thumb:

I'm gonna have to share your little ones Mrs if you don't mind cos I really can't have another tank - I've got 8 already :gasp::gasp:

Bert & Ernie are good names for turts me thinks or Bill & Ben or Ben & Rogers :lol2:

Post some pics up as soon as you can won't you - can't wait to see their cute little faces :flrt::flrt:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
No more animals / pets for me, the ones I have got have been gifts from god! Do you know I don't even like them much :lol2: but as I have been given them I was taught to give them the best care in the world!

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
No more animals / pets for me, the ones I have got have been gifts from god! Do you know I don't even like them much :lol2: but as I have been given them I was taught to give them the best care in the world!

Weird woman :bash::bash: how can you not like a tortoise and a cat - they're both fab little things.

Are you on something!!! :gasp::gasp:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
QUOTE=Mrs Mental;4453812]Weird woman :bash::bash: how can you not like a tortoise and a cat - they're both fab little things.

Are you on something!!! :gasp::gasp:[/QUOTE]

Nope! :lol2:

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
QUOTE=Mrs Mental;4453812]Weird woman :bash::bash: how can you not like a tortoise and a cat - they're both fab little things.

Are you on something!!! :gasp::gasp:
Nope! :lol2:[/QUOTE]

You are certainly a little wonky above the neck though :lol2::lol2:

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:lol2: at wonky above the neck

:lol2: who's a spoilt little girl then!!!! I'm soooooo bloody jealous!!! :Na_Na_Na_Na:

My hubby has jst told me not to get any ideas :whistling2::whistling2::whistling2: cheeky git as if I would!!! I'm very happy with my new little hermies and my hoggy will be here in a couple of weeks :2thumb:

I'm gonna have to share your little ones Mrs if you don't mind cos I really can't have another tank - I've got 8 already :gasp::gasp:

Bert & Ernie are good names for turts me thinks or Bill & Ben or Ben & Rogers :lol2:

Post some pics up as soon as you can won't you - can't wait to see their cute little faces :flrt::flrt:
You can share them :) I will of course have pics up as soon as they get home! I reckon you can have more tanks. There's always room for more! My OH keeps telling me no more, but I order snails and he doesn't even know, cos they get delivered when he's at work!

I have 12 tanks (4 are dinky though, for teeny snails), my torty table, a ferret hutch/run in the garden and a puppy (so far! Although the puppy's not really mine :()

Can't blame him for saying no more, but I just ignore him :lol2:
When we get our shed finished I'll be able to go turt crazy, then the real trouble will start!

EDIT - lmao I have 14 tanks! I forgot about the fish/aquatic snails tanks!

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
:lol2: I'll definately be out of space once the hoggy comes cos his rabbit hutch is going in the loung and I've got to move 2 tanks off our main sideboard to get him in - am having to bring other furniture into the lounge for the two tanks so I'm on thin ice at the moment ROFLMAO!!!! :lol2:

Ohhhh and I did promise nothing else for the rest of the year - this year that is!!! :lol2:

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:lol2: I'll definately be out of space once the hoggy comes cos his rabbit hutch is going in the loung and I've got to move 2 tanks off our main sideboard to get him in - am having to bring other furniture into the lounge for the two tanks so I'm on thin ice at the moment ROFLMAO!!!! :lol2:

Ohhhh and I did promise nothing else for the rest of the year - this year that is!!! :lol2:
Aww, I really want a hoggie too. Good thing is, my OH is quite keen on a hoggie so I may well get one eventually. If we have a sudden monetary windfall!

:lol2: at moving furniture for the pets. I do that too. I'm always trying to figure out the best arrangement for the beasties, even if it's not so good for us! Plus, I've got a stupidly low number of sockets in my house, so that dicatates a lot too!

And hey, it's almost the end of the year already, isn't it...? 8th month now and all that :D

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oooh, what do you think will be next?

I've decided I'm after a salamander or 2 next :D

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
oooh, what do you think will be next?

I've decided I'm after a salamander or 2 next :D
SNAP!!!! :flrt: fab arent they!!!

Am getting a few more little hermies in the next week or so though and maybe the Salamander next year or a tree frog :flrt:

·
Registered
11,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
omg I so want a couple of Whites tree frogs! They are just to die for with their cuteness!

Salamanders are awesome too. I have an unused 2ft fish tank, but I have a bigger RUB, which apparently they do well in too, since they're terrestrial. And they don't need any heat or special lights or anything, so it would be another beastie that would be pretty much just the cost of the beast itself. I love when that happens :D

Don't get me wrong, would spend every penny I had on beasts if I had many to spend :lol2:

I do love hermies too. Maybe I could use the tank for them? Am being strict, and not putting a turtle in it. Can't get any more turts until we have our shed-cum-aquarium done. That way, I know I've got someplace for them to go when they outgrow their tanks!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
you guys are soo lucky :lol2: I only get 2 pets 1 torti and one desert iguana I would love: Frog, Slamander, about 78 more torts:lol2: and 26 turtles and 3 more desert iggys and a couple of berdies :flrt::flrt::flrt::flrt::flrt: but that is a dream at best :(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts