Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am so happy to see little black worms milling around there tub.... i have bought over 1000+ of the little :censor::censor: but finally i had some luck today!!! only about 100 have hatched but looking at the eggs the rest look like they are about to hatch also!!!!
:no1::no1:: victory:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I'll have some when there ready. Lol need some bad

·
Registered
808 Posts
Don't feed the hatclings until around 24hours after the 1st have hatched. I find you get a higher hatch rate that way. Also, Feed them twice a day - morning and evening and they will grow really quickly. You may well get a high rate of deaths, I get about a 95% hatch rate, then lose a further 10% or so over the course of the next 3 weeks or so. I've always got around 3000 or so on the go at various stages of development and have a custom made breeder rack for them ;)

Daz

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where do you get all the food from as my supply wont last long also I just leave a few chunks of the food its abit dry they seem to eat it still is it ok also one last question do they still need the humidity or is that only for hatching?

·
Registered
808 Posts
I import my food from the US in bulk. It works out slightly cheaper that way even with the international postage. I supply a few local pet shops with silks hence the large amounts. You should be able to get the food from the same supplier of your eggs.
I remove the uneaten food when it starts to go hard. It's a knack to get the amount of food right but after a few batches of 1000 you'll get to know. Once the food is hard, they cannot eat it so it needs to be removed.
The humidity needs to be maintained and changed slightly depending on what instar the pupae are in.
Silks are a hard work but worthwhile feeders if you can get it right.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I did but now i just slice it really thin and put the slices in. I can put it where i want it to go that way rather than randomly grating it in. You need to make sure your hands are really clean with these too. They pick up infection quite easily and then they all die. Same if the temperature dips too much at this time of year. I used to mail order these but gave up due to the cold winters. Summer only posting put a lot of peeps off. Heatpads are OK but if they silks get delayed, they're dead :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.