Reptile Forums banner

fire bellied toad question

915 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  bug guy22 
#1 ·
hiya,after the unfortunate loss of one of my bombina orientalis(i still have one left!) i have decided i would like more of these,i like them! i have bought 5 bombina bombina which look great in their set-up and settling in great(and rather noisily!)
thing is,i'm feling a little sad for the lonley b.orientalis and was hoping i could perhaps house it in the same set up as the b. bombina or would this not be such a good idea?
if its okay to do this-it woulld also free up some much needed space!! lol
many thanks in advance:0)
lou

#3 ·
thanks
they are eating really well-i have taken them from a good friend of mine who had them for someone else but he ended up keeping them-until i said i'd like them! so he said i could have them.he keeps all his animals in exceptional condition as he uses them for animal talks on a regular basis:0)
he has had them for quite a few months and they were part of a group of 7 but he has kept two back for his talks.
i'll keep the other seperate for now until i know they are definately settled and seem healthy in the settings i have for them and then i'll put billy-no-mates in with them!
thanks so much! :0)

#5 ·
toads

the five that were kept together are fairly the same size and the one on it's own is just a teeny bit fatter but they are all together now so on my own head be it if anything bad were to happen.up to yet they are just going about there own business,chirping away and seem alright(i think) we are keeping a very close eye on them and have the other set up,well, set up-ready to move it back again if needed!
thanks again: victory:

#6 ·
There aren't that many B.bombina around in the trade so would be interested to see pics of these. I'm going to disagree with the others and say 'No' to mixing - the chances are that they'll be absolutely fine but foreign pathogens can not be seen by the naked eye and can't really be quarantined for (detected yes) so you should be aware you do run a risk mixing these, and as relatively rare frogs in the trade and a European protected species i wouldn't personally risk it (but they're your frogs so your choice!). B.bombina are the trickiest species of Bombina to breed but with a group of 5 you have a reasonable chance (with rigid attention to the seasons and correct lighting/temperature and very importantly with this species - water depth - mess that up and you'll have little chance of breeding them). Would like to see some shots of these if possible, cheers Al

#7 ·
course i'll put pics up! i'll put them in my albums in my profile and also on this thread. watch this space! :0)

#8 ·
toads

please correct me if i have the names of these toads wrong-it's always good to know for sure!! thanks

#9 ·
Hi Lilollou,

I got your PM - Thanks for putting the pictures up. Lovely looking Bombina, but these are infact all B.orientalis - No B.bombina i'm afraid.

Cheers
Al

#10 ·
aaah well-hey,ya can't have everything eh! i will still love em even though they aren't what i thought they were! they differ so much in shape and colour,the bright one has very long toes on its back feet and the brown ones have unbelievably short very webbed toes. so are they two different types or the same just in a different shade?lol

#11 ·
Yep, same 'type', just different shades!. I was hoping to take some pics today of some B.bombina for you but didn't get round to it - i will sort something out over the next few days. Cheers Al

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.