Reptile Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10,619 Posts
i can't help but wonder, if it was the high humidity in the frog tank that may have aided/caused the short?

so glad the animals are ok - one of your/their 9 lives has been used! : victory:

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
I am in the process of converting my shed into a reptile room for my snakes. I had been thinking of putting a smoke alarm up & after reading this thread i definately will do & will also invest in an extinguisher for it too :2thumb:.

OP, so pleased nobody (human or animal) were hurt in this fire. It has definately made me stop & think. I now only use Habistat heat strips/mats & thermostats, it is a name i know i can trust :2thumb:.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
We have 2 smoke alarms and a fire extinguisher in ours. Obviously it is only of any use if there is anyone in. However I also have a written fire escape plan stuck to the door of the rep room, which details how to extract the animals (if it is safe to do so). Might be handy if random people have to break in to out the fire out. There are guidelines on how to write one on one of the government websites - might be worth a thought.

·
Registered
9,381 Posts
I think there the only stick on mats on the market.
Lucky Reptile do stick on ones too, I use these myself, which is why I've asked the OP what make his mat was so I know whether or not to change my mats!

·
Registered
279 Posts
this is the only thing that scares me with this hobbie the risk of fire. So glad you caught it in time and that all reps were ok . Would them trip sockets work that you can get for lawn mowers to cut the power? as once its going wrong would the device notice and kill the power or even someone to come up with a temp sensor and when the mat reaches say 95 then it kills the power ( that must be possible to make ) think we need to put our heads together and invent one .

·
Registered
815 Posts
regarding heat mats, if you get a short circuit the fuse in the plug should blow. one way of making sure this happens is to fit a 1A fuse in the plug to so if it shorts it will go quicker. i dont think this fire was caused by a short if it was fused correctly, i think it was due to a loose connection of some sort which would cause arcing and generate immense heat. also i would never have a reptile room and not have an rcd on my fuse board. rcds (residual current device) disconnect the whole circuit if an earth fault develops, it works by balance of current going through the live and neutral, if there is an imbalance it trips and they work so fast. its designed for protection against electric shock but it will also trip if you plug in a faulty appliance. someone mention about a trip on a lawnmower, well this is the same thing. if you havnt got one and you have a rep room get one fitted.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
regarding heat mats, if you get a short circuit the fuse in the plug should blow. one way of making sure this happens is to fit a 1A fuse in the plug to so if it shorts it will go quicker. i dont think this fire was caused by a short if it was fused correctly, i think it was due to a loose connection of some sort which would cause arcing and generate immense heat. also i would never have a reptile room and not have an rcd on my fuse board. rcds (residual current device) disconnect the whole circuit if an earth fault develops, it works by balance of current going through the live and neutral, if there is an imbalance it trips and they work so fast. its designed for protection against electric shock but it will also trip if you plug in a faulty appliance. someone mention about a trip on a lawnmower, well this is the same thing. if you havnt got one and you have a rep room get one fitted.

Are these RCDs the type of thing you can get that plug into the wall socket and then you plug in the extension lead/multiplug? I remember as a kid a device like this that plugged into a socket and then you plugged your lawnmower into that. Or have I totally missed the point here?
Also would one of these surge protection multiplugs protect against fire?
Cheers

·
Registered
815 Posts
Are these RCDs the type of thing you can get that plug into the wall socket and then you plug in the extension lead/multiplug? I remember as a kid a device like this that plugged into a socket and then you plugged your lawnmower into that. Or have I totally missed the point here?
Also would one of these surge protection multiplugs protect against fire?
Cheers
you are right you can get individual rcds like the ones you plug in. also you can get a double socket which has an rcd, it looks like a regular socket but has green or blue button on it which is used to reset it if it trips, if it wont reset then there is a fault with what you have plugged in. so one way you could do it is to change your sockets for these. it doesnt neccessarily protect against fire because a lot of fires are caused by loose connections which isnt really a fault but causes burn outs. but its a good thing to have if a fault develops, for example ingress of water which in this hobby is likely with high humidity and spraying of enclosures which could possibly cause a fire. so basically its not flawless but provides extra protection. surge protection also does not protect against fire, all it does is protects sensitive electronic equipment like computers and tvs from power surges.

·
Registered
55 Posts
wow this has really made me think about safety.

I would not use an extension outside or near water (e.g. bath spa) without a RCD switch. Never even thought about having them on viv setups.
I was after a couple new heat mats and had figured what the hell a mat is a mat Ill get the cheapest one I can online. . . . .

no way now.

very sobering thread, but good things come out of it if it makes us think about reducing / minimising risks.

So pleased everyone (scaled and skinned) was ok

·
Registered
715 Posts
As a few folk have said, make sure you buy decent, UK made heatmats and stick them on a stat and you reduce your risk of fire to almost nil.

Im glad it was stopped in time mate :)

D

·
Registered
10 Posts
In our reptile room we have a 2x 2Kg automatic powder fire extinguishers which at £45 each gives us some peace of mind.
hxxp://www.safelincs.co.uk/Small-Automatic-Powder-Fire-Extinguisher

·
Registered
11,670 Posts
In our reptile room we have a 2x 2Kg automatic powder fire extinguishers which at £45 each gives us some peace of mind.
hxxp://www.safelincs.co.uk/Small-Automatic-Powder-Fire-Extinguisher

You can get them off ebay for under £20, i was looking at them the other night :2thumb:. My smoke alram i ordered off ebay came today (it's one of those that has a 10 year battery in it). That cost me under £10, so again it pays to shop around for these things as you can often find stuff cheaper off ebay that are sold by people who also have shops, so not dodgy at all :no1:.

·
Registered
48 Posts
for those that have fire alarms in rep rooms or converted sheds that are worried they may not hear them, most modern fire alarms can be interconnected with 2 core speaker cable so if one goes off it sets the other off aswell. so a well positioned 2nd or 3rd one in main house/ building will alert u straight away

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
You can get them off ebay for under £20, i was looking at them the other night :2thumb:. My smoke alram i ordered off ebay came today (it's one of those that has a 10 year battery in it). That cost me under £10, so again it pays to shop around for these things as you can often find stuff cheaper off ebay that are sold by people who also have shops, so not dodgy at all :no1:.
Cheapest I could find was £80. Do you have a link?

21 - 37 of 37 Posts