Reptile Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I know fire skinks aren't exactly common but I wondered if anyone had any experience with this, I recently purchased a fire skink and he's (im calling it a he but I'm not sure) just had a huge all over shed. I looked at him this morning and noticed he was chomping his way through a massive piece that was attached to the tip of his tail. He ate the entire thing and I'm just wondering whether I should leave him to it in future or stop him?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I wouldn't be concerned, it's quite common for lizards to eat the skin after its shed. My geckos used to do it every time.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Ye a lot of lizards do it

The only reasoning I've ever read is that they don't like to leave a trace for potential predators.

Sounds logical enough to me but I don't know how accurate that is.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah ok, fair enough, no worries then :) it was just because id never seen my beardie do it. Thanks for the help everyone :D

Reactions: Badgerroy

·
Registered
625 Posts
Ye a lot of lizards do it

The only reasoning I've ever read is that they don't like to leave a trace for potential predators.

Sounds logical enough to me but I don't know how accurate that is.
Iv read that before as well, and to be honest it does make sense.

I seem to also Half remember reading somewhere that it's a sign of good overall health In the lizard but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Far far too much time on your hands but fabulous photoshop skills non the less :p thanks for help everyone he's my newest baby I was just worried I'd got a problem :)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
This is also common in amphibians.

Guess they get something back from the effort of the shed.

Or are you just not feeding him/her :lol2:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Definitely feeding him, he eats like a horse!! Takes him a while to catch the crickets though, he's not the most coordinated XD

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Definatly nothing to worry about, my two do this all the time.

·
Registered
33,260 Posts
most skinks & many geckos do it, & some lizards eat their own/other lizards' poop & urates too- i have a pair of dwarf sungazers that do that!:gasp::sick:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks so much everyone for the advice, I was rather worried but I'm glad it means he's healthy :D he's a right character even though he's not out too often and I'd recommend them to anyone as they're so sweet looking and if you get them from the right place they have a lovely temperament :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts