Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am interested in getting a pair of fire skinks, but I have a few questions, and I was wondering if someone could help me out. I have a 36" long x 15" deep x 20" tall tank, and I was wondering if this would be big enough for their whole lives. Also, if it is big enough, do they enjoy a lot of plant coverage or do they like open space? Thank you!

·
Registered
33,237 Posts
Hi, I am interested in getting a pair of fire skinks, but I have a few questions, and I was wondering if someone could help me out. I have a 36" long x 15" deep x 20" tall tank, and I was wondering if this would be big enough for their whole lives. Also, if it is big enough, do they enjoy a lot of plant coverage or do they like open space? Thank you!
It's a bit tall, unless you can hang the basking lamp a fair way down into the viv- they aren't arboreal and are not really climbers. They hide under the substrate a fair bit & will probably dig up most plants- they only come up to bask for a couple of hours a day & to feed. The viv is just about big enough for a pair, but do make certain that they are a sexed pair as males will fight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a bit tall, unless you can hang the basking lamp a fair way down into the viv- they aren't arboreal and are not really climbers. They hide under the substrate a fair bit & will probably dig up most plants- they only come up to bask for a couple of hours a day & to feed. The viv is just about big enough for a pair, but do make certain that they are a sexed pair as males will fight.
Ok, thank you. I know it is very hard to sex a fire skink, but do you have any suggestions? And as for the heat lamp, I would just hang it down in the viv a little bit, and maybe just put some fake vines around it to hide it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Depends on the design of the tank, but you could use the height the build up a nice deep substrate. As said, just about big enough to accommodate two. Sexing is a nightmare, it takes some careful trial and error but can be done with experience. Make sure you've got a spare viv set up in case you need to separate.

Reactions: wilkinss77
1 - 4 of 4 Posts