Reptile Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
these guys are definitely on my want list :2thumb: what's lighting setups like for these guys?

Reactions: creg

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
these guys are definitely on my want list :2thumb: what's lighting setups like for these guys?
uv is recommended but i don't use it, they stay buried for 99% of the day so i can't see how it would benefit them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a fire skink and he seems to defy odds as he is always out. He was very nippy when he first came but is lovely to handle now. He sits staring out at me while i watch tv. Easily a favourite :). Yours looks stunning !

Sent from my RM-825_eu_euro1_217 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a fire skink and he seems to defy odds as he is always out. He was very nippy when he first came but is lovely to handle now. He sits staring out at me while i watch tv. Easily a favourite :). Yours looks stunning !

Sent from my RM-825_eu_euro1_217 using Tapatalk
:bash: I'm well jealous mine are extremely shy, soon as they see me enter the room they shoot back into their burrows. Only managed to handle them once and they really weren't happy about it so iv'e left them be since.

You should post some pics of yours if you have any, they seem pretty rare on here. Wish i could get a full body shot of mine because they are much more colourful than ones i found via google.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
uv is recommended but i don't use it, they stay buried for 99% of the day so i can't see how it would benefit them.
very good point, are there many uk captive breeders for these?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
There aren't many CB breeders :( Really really hard to find, even if you're looking. Hopefully there will be more of them in the future though

The little guy is absolutely stunning :flrt:

By the way, getting my male tomorrow :) He'll be here in the morning. So my luck finally turned around a little bit :p

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
How are yours for feeding? I've only just realised that monitoring the little guy might be quite difficult :p Hopefully he'll have an appetite soon, as he was in transit for four days, so can't have eaten for about a week :/

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
How are yours for feeding? I've only just realised that monitoring the little guy might be quite difficult :p Hopefully he'll have an appetite soon, as he was in transit for four days, so can't have eaten for about a week :/
Those pics of the female are the first time I've seen them eat :lol2: they must be eating OK though as everything I put in is gone within a day. I feed large black ands brown crickets and meal worms.

Yours is probably still settling in so I wouldn't worry, a week without food is not the end of the world. You could try some wax worms if he's not eating much, my leopard gecko went ages this winter not eating anything but he never turned down wax worms.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Yeah, every time I've gotten a new animal, they go at least a week without food. My leo was 11g when I got her and went over a week without food. With Odah (skink), it's more that I'm not sure how to monitor the feeding. I've tried him with locusts today, as I'm worried crickets will just use his burrows and I might not be able to monitor his eating, whereas locusts are easy to spot in a tank full of mud. At the minute, all his viv has is mud and bark :p

I've left the locusts in the tank today, and actually just came upstairs to find him out and about hunting :D I always feel ridiculously excited when they eat for the first time. Not only that, but he actually just stood there for a little while and looked at me for a good few minutes before I moved too quickly and he dove back down a hole :) I've seen him about 4 times daily since he got here on Friday morning. I keep finding him at the front of his viv watching my cat, or sticking his face out of the mud like an adorable little whack-a-mole game :p

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah, every time I've gotten a new animal, they go at least a week without food. My leo was 11g when I got her and went over a week without food. With Odah (skink), it's more that I'm not sure how to monitor the feeding. I've tried him with locusts today, as I'm worried crickets will just use his burrows and I might not be able to monitor his eating, whereas locusts are easy to spot in a tank full of mud. At the minute, all his viv has is mud and bark :p

I've left the locusts in the tank today, and actually just came upstairs to find him out and about hunting :D I always feel ridiculously excited when they eat for the first time. Not only that, but he actually just stood there for a little while and looked at me for a good few minutes before I moved too quickly and he dove back down a hole :) I've seen him about 4 times daily since he got here on Friday morning. I keep finding him at the front of his viv watching my cat, or sticking his face out of the mud like an adorable little whack-a-mole game :p
My leo was 105 grams so wasn't worrying me at all :lol2:

Good idea using locusts to monitor his feeding, i'm just throwing a handful of crickets or meal worms in and leaving them to it - they are really good hunters. Yours behaviour is same as mine and i thought maybe it was because mine are wc. I got a buzz feeding her by hand when i took those pics, i got her to eat a cricket right out of my fingers.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I think I'll be throwing food at him in future, as soon as I'm satisfied that he's eating enough. I started being paranoid after he got here as they hide so much 'what if he dies, what if he's ill, how would I even tell'; those kinds of things. But as the viv is just soil, I can actually tell where he's been throughout the day. He seems to just keep building his little tunnels. I startled him again earlier when he was watching the cat, and he just seemed to fall back into the mud, not even using his feet.

I was fully expecting him to hide as often as he seems to, and was prepared to not see him for weeks on end. But I think that maybe because he's in my bedroom, I'll see him a little more than I expected. What did surprise me though is how excited I am just by seeing his little burrow holes in the ground :p I'm not sure if it's because it's a new place, but he seems pretty interested in everything at the minute. The cat still doesn't know he exists though xD

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Hi, I just thought I would post on this thread to see if anyone on here could help me.

I recently got a CB month old fire skink. He is doing really well so far and had eaten a lot of crickets since I got him but I just wanted to find out what other people feed their fire skink. I have read that they can eat fruit. Is this right? Has anyone tried it with them?

Does anyone have a link to a good reliable care sheet for them?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi, I just thought I would post on this thread to see if anyone on here could help me.

I recently got a CB month old fire skink. He is doing really well so far and had eaten a lot of crickets since I got him but I just wanted to find out what other people feed their fire skink. I have read that they can eat fruit. Is this right? Has anyone tried it with them?

Does anyone have a link to a good reliable care sheet for them?
I never tried feeding mine fruits or veggies, just meal worms and crickets.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts