Reptile Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm planning on acquiring a Fire Skink soon, and I'm in the process of gathering the items I need for the terrarium, but I'm still confused on one thing: What is a good, easy-to-get substrate??? There are so many different opinions out there, and I would appreciate if someone who has owned one or more fire skinks for several years would tell me what works for them. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I have a pair and keep them on a mix of soil and sand, only 2 parts sand to soil and they are thriving, works really well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of soil/sand, any particular mixture?

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
There is a new habistat soil/sand based pre-pack out which they market for tortoises. It looks great to me. Fires being so keen on digging and tunnelling would benefit from this I feel.

John,

Reactions: mitsi

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I just use garden topsoil and play sand.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I use, now & in the past, several inches of mixed coir & top soil with a handful of sand plus some leaf litter & moss. Holds moisture & easy to dig/rummage in. Also lots of bark, a few live plants (in which they will also burrow, plus a deeper filled tub of the same mix for a secure place to hide, all liberally sprayed each morning before the light comes on. Admittedly with this you don't see them often but its not about what's good for me.

·
Registered
161 Posts
There is a new habistat soil/sand based pre-pack out which they market for tortoises. It looks great to me. Fires being so keen on digging and tunnelling would benefit from this I feel.

John,
Apologies for the possibility of a silly question but would this habitat pre pack be ok for a beardie?

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
if the parameters provided to a species match that of the wild animal then I see no reason why not.

My belief and I cover this extensively in my latest book is that impaction in desert species is caused mainly due to too lower heat and provided in an unnatural way and poor levels of hydration. If the animal can obtain the correct heat in the correct way and has access to the right levels of hydration in the right way then we should see far less cases of impaction.

John

Apologies for the possibility of a silly question but would this habitat pre pack be ok for a beardie?

Reactions: mitsi

·
Registered
161 Posts
Is this the correct one? I looked on their website seems closest to what you've said.

HabiStat Tortoise Substrate. 10 Kilos

if the parameters provided to a species match that of the wild animal then I see no reason why not.

My belief and I cover this extensively in my latest book is that impaction in desert species is caused mainly due to too lower heat and provided in an unnatural way and poor levels of hydration. If the animal can obtain the correct heat in the correct way and has access to the right levels of hydration in the right way then we should see far less cases of impaction.

John

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like the Pro Rep Tortise Life Substrate; going to see if they have it on Ebay or Amazon, don't think we have Habistat in America

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Doesn't look like I can get the tortoise substrate;
Khonsu, do you get the stuff you use from the wild, and also, what the heck is coir?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm from America, so Amazon UK doesn't really help much, and they don't have it in our Amazon

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
The choice of depth is yours, it could be 6' deep if you wanted but I would say a min of 4-6" to allow tunnelling

John

Bump on this please :)

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Doesn't look like I can get the tortoise substrate;
Khonsu, do you get the stuff you use from the wild, and also, what the heck is coir?
Coir is compressed coconut fibre, comes as a compressed/dried brick, soak it in water & like magic it expands, fantastic stuff if you want a moist/damp substrate, top soil comes from DIY shop, check its contents to make sure nothing added to kill slugs, insects etc, leaf litter mixes you can but prebagged but its not cheap, I collect dry leaves etc in autumn & nuke in the microwave, sand is play sand from DIY stores etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts