Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've kept my two fire skinks together for 7-8 months and kept a close eye on them, but they never seemed to have much interest with eachother. I surmised both were girls and just left them together with the promise I'd separate them if I noticed any trouble.

Unfortunately I think that day has come. I woke up to rhythmic puffing coming from the larger one as the smaller one was chasing them around the cage. When the small one caught up they'd sniff at the other's back for a bit before biting them. Then the larger one would run off and the chase would resume.

I got scared and put the aggressive one in a separate tank. I've never seen them act like this. I know head bobbing and biting the back of the neck can be mating behaviors, but I'm just not sure with fire skinks. There's not much info I can find about these guys.

Anyone have any insights?

·
Registered
33,237 Posts
I've kept my two fire skinks together for 7-8 months and kept a close eye on them, but they never seemed to have much interest with eachother. I surmised both were girls and just left them together with the promise I'd separate them if I noticed any trouble.

Unfortunately I think that day has come. I woke up to rhythmic puffing coming from the larger one as the smaller one was chasing them around the cage. When the small one caught up they'd sniff at the other's back for a bit before biting them. Then the larger one would run off and the chase would resume.

I got scared and put the aggressive one in a separate tank. I've never seen them act like this. I know head bobbing and biting the back of the neck can be mating behaviors, but I'm just not sure with fire skinks. There's not much info I can find about these guys.

Anyone have any insights?
Could be either. Neck biting is also part of skinks' mating rituals. Is one any more brightly coloured than the other? From what I've read, male fire skinks are more colourful than females.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be either. Neck biting is also part of skinks' mating rituals. Is one any more brightly coloured than the other? From what I've read, male fire skinks are more colourful than females.
The aggressive one is smaller and more narrow than the other (which is what made me think it was female), but he/she is more brightly colored.

·
Registered
33,237 Posts
The aggressive one is smaller and more narrow than the other (which is what made me think it was female), but he/she is more brightly colored.
That sounds like you have a pair, & that it's mating behaviour. Smaller & narrower & more brightly coloured, usually means male in skinks & many other lizards. He's up for a bit of nookie, but she might not be if she isn't responding or is resisting/running away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds like you have a pair, & that it's mating behaviour. Smaller & narrower & more brightly coloured, usually means male in skinks & many other lizards. He's up for a bit of nookie, but she might not be if she isn't responding or is resisting/running away.
Yeah that seems to be the case. Odd that he took almost a year to finally take some interest. But from all the Togo Fire Skink breeders I've talked to, the males usually have a broader head/build than females. Though I guess that's not always the case :\

·
Registered
33,237 Posts
Yeah that seems to be the case. Odd that he took almost a year to finally take some interest. But from all the Togo Fire Skink breeders I've talked to, the males usually have a broader head/build than females. Though I guess that's not always the case :\
How big is your male? Could be he's just about old enough to mate, but not yet mature enough to develop the broad head.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I pulled the two out of their tanks to do a side by side comparison and I think you're right. The brighter-colored one is bigger than when I got him, almost as big as the other skink now. He must have been not-quite-mature yet when I bought him.

Gee... guess I need to be on the lookout for eggs now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts