Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Sweden with reptile love.

I´m going to get my first Afrock. Already have a Burm. My OH:s dad has got a garage where i can keep my big snakes so space is not a problem. I also got co. handlers when time comes, to make a long story short, all the practicals are taken care of. Now for the question: what special is there to think about? There is practically zero info about Afrocks in Sweden, have read the caresheet for Afrocks here on the forum, but i think it leaves much for the imagination, i want to know things besides the basics, if you catch my drift. So please, give me as much info, things to think about and handy hints and tips as possible.

Oh, and if someone has got an Afrock for sale and by chance are visiting Sweden any time soon, let me know:2thumb:

Cheers! //Niklas

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
Basically take your time with them they can take a long time to finally calm down they need a keeper that isn't impatient. Try find a baby that isn't nervous as you will find they are far easy to calm. nervous babys really can take a long time to finally settle down. Feed in the viv,Keep handling short 3-4 times a week for short periods make sure interation is often and when i meen interaction i meen things like changing substrate and illing up water bowk do this oftern even if it doesn't need changing this gets the snake used to you being around. Be prepared for size even though afrocks grow slow they can get much bigger then burmese pythons and even rival etics at a vey old age for size. Afrocks are also very agile for there size even a 16ft 45-50kg rock can move with impessive speed. Keep an eye on there weight as these tend to become very obease in captivity so space meals put. good luck with teh right care and good diet these snakes can live a very long life and be a great species to keep.

Hope this help

ryan

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man for really good info! I believe i read somewhere that Afrocks needs really cool temps at night, is this true? Also, are there any difference in size, behaviour etc between P. natalensis and P.sebae? Are they good feeders?

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
No worries mate :2thumb: Night time temps i keep mine the same as i do duing the day. The hotspot i keep 88f and the cool end i keep at least 70f. P.sebae are said to be the larger sub species of the two, Yes the are usually very good feeders but you can get the odd few that can be funny feeders

·
Registered
817 Posts
TBH, I told myself not to post on any threads asking for advice on getting an afrock, wasted to much time on others, but I can't help myself so here goes.....

As Ryan says really. They are much stronger, faster and more intelligent than a burm. Mine definatley recognise me and are fairly docile with me, mine are not keen on strangers. You need to build up a good level of trust with your afrock, don't ever trust them not for a second, but they must trust you. They are programed to defend themselves vigourosly when threaten and you need to over come this. My male took around 2 years to tame down, but its well worth the effort. All of my burms calmed down and were tame in 5 minutes compared to my afrocks. If you can get a hatchling and rear it up to be a handleable adult then I think you'll be ready to take on anything.

Basically for keeping an afrock I'd say-
1 - Make sure it feels safe and secure in its viv.
2 - Don't over feed.
3 - Learn to understand your snakes character.

Unfortunatley, no3 usually involves getting bitten and bleeding quite alot, but its all a learning experience. They all have different characters and personalities, you just have to figure out what it is.

Pics of mine are in my album.

Steve

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds great to me. So basically they need the same temps as all other pythons. I´m so excited over this I can hardly restrain myself. I´ve been morbidly fascinated by Afrocks since I saw one on Animal Planet a couple years ago. They are not so common in Sweden though, still have a bad rep, I believe it´s like with retic´s when they where new to the hobby. Any more hints and tips are more than welcome.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I keep mine at room humidity and I don't provide a soaking bowl as they'll be in it 24/7 and you end up with a bowl of s:censor:t soup. Great if your looking to catch something unpleasant, but I prefer to keep mine clean.

Newspaper for substrate, although I find they make less mess than a burm, heavy waterbowl and hides are all that I put in the viv. Anything else will be trashed : victory:

Steve

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Room humidity in Sweden are more dry than a desert I´m afraid. I think it´s about 20-25% in here. So there is a whole lot of effort with Afrocks I see. I will do as much research about them as I possibly can. Caresheets serve their purpose but nothing beats hands on experience, thats why I ask my questions here. And to all of you who comes with any advise, I lift my hat :notworthy:

·
Registered
8,125 Posts
Room humidity in Sweden are more dry than a desert I´m afraid. I think it´s about 20-25% in here. So there is a whole lot of effort with Afrocks I see. I will do as much research about them as I possibly can. Caresheets serve their purpose but nothing beats hands on experience, thats why I ask my questions here. And to all of you who comes with any advise, I lift my hat :notworthy:
I'm not sure on the minimum humidity but ino afrocks in some cases are exposed to very low humidity some months in africa. aim for 40-50% to be safe : victory:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Soon! In just minutes I´ll be off to collect...:mf_dribble:
Hope you've got something well insulated to put it in, I see its -4 and snows forecast for Falkenberg :shock: : victory:

Steve

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finally! She's sooooo stunning! Damn she's qiuck though. At the moment she's installing herself in her temporary enclosure, got a viv with the purchase, but I think it's in such poor condition so I'm going to build her a new luxurious viv these days. She seems pretty tame actually. The previous owner handled her a couple of times a week, so far she has never bitten. I hope it stays that way. I'll leave her to settle for about a week, then try to feed. I will surely post a pic or ten soon. My dream has finally come true!

And yes, it was freezing cold on the Swedish west coast tonight, but the car was warm and fuzzy8) Serious accident on the freeway too! Someone bounced the midrail and ended up in a 6 foot ditch.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here's a pic, will post many more for sure.

Crap quality, but didn't want to disturb her too much on her first night in her new home. Had her out today while cleaning, she made a mess earlier, no hissing, no striking and no biting :2thumb:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts