Reptile Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
5x2x2 bio for an adult male bull snake. Made a mix of bio compost, playsand (for structure.. he's a digger) and threw in some spare moss and coir I had leftover, mixed it with a good couple of armfuls of leaf litter and this was the result! Smells amazing! Sadly there is no drainage as I only have 3 inches or so to work with but I hope it'll be ok, bit of an experiment.

I also gathered a box of the topsoil from the woods including spring tails, woodlice and millipedes. Jury is still out on wether custodians can deal with the amount of waste a bull snake produces.. Either way I am sure it'd smell better than what is currently does :lol2:

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
looks great!

shame about lack of drainage, you will have to watch that

You may need to top up the springtail cultures once a month or so, the good news is that many shops now have them in tubs :)

let us know how it goes long term and remember the success of a bio-active system is dependant on adequate and effective hydration and the provision of a re-created "wild" thermo gradient.

It is if its not hot enough and it doesn't get enough fluids that problems can start to occur,

good luck!

john

Reactions: werewolf

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sadly I didn't think the depth of these through when I got them made but a few have had success with bio minus drainage. I intend to keep a corner slightly on the most side under a nice chunk of degrading wood I found!

I'm trying to keep it on the drier side, there is a fair bit of sand in the mix too to try replicate more of a scrubland than forest!

I've not seen many snakes on bio, maybe this is the reason? The main occupants seem to be humidity loving snakes like the rainbows, although the people who have tried with no drainage have been mainly corn keepers and they report good success even with them on the drier side.. we'll see!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts