Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided it was time to put my boas together and see what would happen. I read quite a bit recently, and could not make up my mind as to which would be the best strategy.

So tonight I decided (after over a year that they've been separate) to put them together. I put my female into my male viv. They seemed to be getting on quite well, and he's been following her around the viv. Now they settled down.

He's on top of her, like a double decker bus, from head to tail. However I can't see any signs of mating yet :(

I'll see if I can take some pix to show you what's going on, and if anyone has ever bred boas, can you please tell me if it's looking promising ?

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
A couple of pix I just took. Unfortunately their tails are behind the water bowl so I don't want to disturb them. As it stands I think they are just foreplaying :roll:

I just wonder if they will manage to do ti or if they will decide just to be friends :?

·
Registered
508 Posts
good luck Dex with your first attempt, have you got the soft music & candlelight on the go :roll: sorry I'm just being silly but let's hope for the slither of little snakes in time to come :D

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Lesley. Just went to the room to check and the male is already having a fag :lol:

·
Premium Member
15,651 Posts
looks good mate its a good sign that they aren't trying to get away from each other. Are you altering the temps at all? Hopefully you will see a bit of tail action in the next couple of days but courting can go on for weeks even months :D

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not altering the temps unless of course the nroaml drop at night. During the day it's going around 84-86 on the hot spot, and at night it's droping to around 78-80.

But since the temp in the room doens't very too much it's hard to make it drop too much.

My worst fear was that they would have a go at each other, but so far so good. I just went upstairs to have a look and now they male turned around, so now he's still on top of her, but with his head on her tail and vice-versa :roll:

·
Registered
9,815 Posts
breeding boas is a piece of p*ss mate,they are already courting,just leave them too it
regards gaz

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
andyj5447 said:
Bit of a kinky boa "69'er" going on ey :lol:
:lol: Maybe he was checking to make sure he knows where to go later :)

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
sure they will get on ok, the male will see to that :lol:

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
*** UPDATE ***

Well, after the excitement of the first day together, they are not looking as they are getting down to business lately :(

I can see they are always occupying the same spot in the viv, and the male tends to be trying to have some parts of his body on top of her, but not really any mating attempt :roll:

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice one Anthony, I think I'm being a bit fussy as well. It's been two days since I put them together. I heard the courting can go for weeks, before mating takes place.

I'll keep my fingers crossed :D

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, but not a lot :roll:

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
when he's done you'll probably see clear liquid running around! :wink: I think they are rather messy when courting!

Keep us informed!

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Messy when courting or mating ?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts