Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After i had completed phase one of my project

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/habitat/592398-new-stack-build.html

I thought i better get my rear into gear and make a start at a fakie background...... Please don't be harsh this is my first attempt.

I have used 2 space boards from B&Q (1200 x 500 x 50.4mm)@ £4.95 each. I stared off by marking all of the shapes of the stones i wanted onto the board and set to hacking all of the bit off i didn't want with a drill and suitable wire brush attachment.

Here is the result of all that hacking.

After that i added some basking ledges for the beardies. To get these to stay in place i put recesses the background and used kebab skewers to steady, and dabbed some adhesive to ensure fixing.

Then it was on with the first layer of watered down grout

More updates soon, what do you think for a start ?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it looks good so far, and I love the way you have calved out the stone effect cant wait to see the progress.
Thank you, it took about an hour to carve out the foam, and another hour to clean up after it.... nobody ever said about the mess it makes

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Looks awesome so far

Thank you, it took about an hour to carve out the foam, and another hour to clean up after it.... nobody ever said about the mess it makes
use poly and get a solder gun the carve the poly, it take minutes and no mess

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks awesome so far

use poly and get a solder gun the carve the poly, it take minutes and no mess
Didnt think of that.... its only after i seen your JP background i though why not... lets give it a go.

The first coat of grout hopefully will be dry by tomorrow. i will post more pics then

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
2nd Layer of grout

Well, the mess began again and the second layer of grout is finally on.

Here are the results

Will 2 layers of grout be enough so that i can go ahead and paint and seal?

Can i more or less use any paint ?

And i take it floor varnish will be ok !

Thanks

Shaun

·
Registered
670 Posts
What grout mix did you use?

It looks thick, it is recommended to use an almost watery type mix and add 4-5 layers rather than 2 think layers as it can crack (so I read!). I am sure somebody will confirm or advise otherwise :)

Nice for me to know too, as I have grouting to do too!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What grout mix did you use?

It looks thick, it is recommended to use an almost watery type mix and add 4-5 layers rather than 2 think layers as it can crack (so I read!). I am sure somebody will confirm or advise otherwise :)

Nice for me to know too, as I have grouting to do too!
First layer was down with a watered down mix to get into all the cracks, this second coat is again watered down but not as much as before. i'll leave it tomorrow to dry out and see how it looks

Cheers

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With the 3rd and final layer of grout on (and dry) i have opted for the plasti-kote sandstone rattle can effect. 2 layers of this with 2 hours of dry time in between has brought me to this point

What colour dry brush would you recommend before i seal it with varnish, unsure of it at the moment.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right here we go, nearly finished now. With dry brushing complete and in the process of drying off ready for a couple of coats of matt varnish, i am pretty pleased at my first go at this. Was nowhere near as hard as what i expected.

Here are the snaps so far

What you all think?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Im jealous. My first background looked like crap. :lol2: Its really good! Should look awesome once its finished & fitted into its viv :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1 - 20 of 30 Posts