Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to my first reptile expo this September (Doncaster) and I really don't know what to get!
Should I:
  1. Go to the expo and buy the animal with it's viv
  2. Try as hard as I can to make up my mind (which tbh probably won't work)

Please give me some advice!!!

·
Super Moderator
16,910 Posts
Whatever you decide to get you should always have the vivarium set up and running beforehand. For example - so that you know the temperatures are correct, the thermostat is working correctly etc.

You need to research and know that whatever you decide to get is within your limitations, and not just purchase on the spur of the moment.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I'm going to my first reptile expo this September (Doncaster) and I really don't know what to get!

Should I:

1. Go to the expo and buy the animal with it's viv
  2. Try as hard as I can to make up my mind (which tbh probably won't work)

Please give me some advice!!!

I say make up your mind as hard as that may be! Look at whatever reptiles it is you’re consider over the next month or so and do pros and cons. I know it’s hard! Took me a while to decide on what I wanted to choose haha.
Have the viv all set up ready for when you collect your new member, if they have similar set ups that would be great then you could choose when there haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,910 Posts
I've never been so don't know if they are cheaper to buy there, even if they are for sale. I would have thought it better to get the vivarium before you go. Of course you have to get it transported back home so will take up a fair bit of room in the car.

·
Super Moderator
9,657 Posts
Could I have a temporary setup ready and buy the proper viv there?

They don't always have vivs for sale so it would be a risk . As mentioned your best option is to decide what reptile you would like and then have the correct set up ready before buying the animal.

·
Registered
266 Posts
As hard as it may seem don't buy an animal before you have an enclosure set up and running, especially if it's going to be your first.

It's best to have an enclosure running for a week before anything is added so you can make sure the temperatures, humidity, etc are stable and correct and that all the equipment is working. What are you going to do if you buy everything at the same time as the animal and then come home to find the heater, etc. isn't working? The animal will be stressed and really needs to go into the perfect environment straight away.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Impulse buys don’t tend to make forever pets, not to mention all the stress of running around trying to find everything you need and learn how to care for the animal, meanwhile you’re providing it with substandard conditions which isn’t acceptable. There’s so much to look at, just enjoy the show, pick up some cheap equipment where you can and talk to some breeders so when you are ready you can order from someone you’ve had time to look into talk to etc

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate all of your help yet I don't believe some of you have quite understood what I mean.
All of the animals I am considering I have researched, I do not believe in any impulse buying.
I understand that you have to have everything running, but could I have a more temporary set up and buy hides there?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think everyone who’s replied has understood perfectly and has given you the same answer (you must have your set up ready before you bring home your animal) maybe it isn’t the answer you want but if you are determined to cut corners on the housing you’re not going to be a very good keeper. Why would you need to set up something temporary exactly?? Your number one concern should be providing as close to perfect conditions as possible so your animal doesn’t suffer? I think people are telling you to research more because your question (no offence meant at all) is a novice one and something people with experience wouldn’t consider doing so please heed the advice given for the sake of your pet

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no but I mean one of my later questions, can I have viv and heating ready and stuff but buy hides there?

·
Registered
10,488 Posts
no but I mean one of my later questions, can I have viv and heating ready and stuff but buy hides there?
Of course.
The point of setting up a viv first is to ensure that the temperature is right and not fluctuating, and if necessary the same with humidity.
Adding furnishings and hides won't be an issue.

·
Banned
1,161 Posts
Feener; I went to my first Expo in Birmingham. This must have been back around the early eighties, I'd guess?

Based on my own experience? I'd suggest ye just leave ye money at home and go purely to enjoy the experience of the spectacle.

See, what happened to me was, I entered this absolutely Vast place, with probably Miles of tables. All covered in mouth watering, eye popping, Must Have's.

But, I only had so much to spend. I'd like to have bought That. But, at the next table or so? Maybe I'd rather have That?

And so, I spent a long afternoon, racing from table to table. Drooling. Unable to dare spend my money, because I never knew what treasure I'd find next.

Finally, I'd about seen everything there was. And I had a short list. Now to just find those tables again .....

And, by the time I figured my way back through the maze? Everything I'd had my mind on had been sold. I actually came away with Nothing, but a wad of cash.

But, what an experience! I'd Seen things I'd never have imagined. If I'd just gone for the look? It would have been even better. I'd have relaxed and savored viewing things.

Pretty much anything ye'll see there will, by definition, be available, on line, anyway. Why not treat it more as a day at the zoo and get the numbers of anyone offering what ye fancy? Then, arrange to buy freshly bred stock from them, at ye leisure.

Just a suggestion. One I wish someone had made to me, at the time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts