Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my first go at mounting two little broms I removed from main plant 4 weeks ago! I'm quite happy with how they look! I am interested in doing a lot more and getting much better but I was wondering what type of market there is? I'd love some advice/feedback/critasisum!

Josh!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the branch I calved out a groove for the base of the pup, slotted it in, covers with a rooted carpet moss and secured the moss with 2 wraps of clear fishing line just untill te moss roots fully on! And the outcrop was a similar method as in calving the wood out so that the pup gotten nice and snug and impressing the roots of the carpet moss into pure awled holes so its secure with no wrapping or anything artificial atall! :)
Josh

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
It looks good, are they Guzmania pups, they look like it. If so, they should be ok, but wrapping moss around most broms roots will lead to them rotting, the moss will hold the moisture against the root and the wood, and a carved wooden face against the other side won't give the water much of an opportunity to escape.

Dave

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The grove the pups fit into are grooved all the way to the end, and there are two drilled out channels on into the groove on the outcropping, would you recommend less moss or more drainage?
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
The grove the pups fit into are grooved all the way to the end, and there are two drilled out channels on into the groove on the outcropping, would you recommend less moss or more drainage?
Cheers!
Difficult to say for sure, it depends on the moisture levels in the viv, etc. However, I would always put as much drainage as possible around mounted brom, as I said Guzmania should be ok, but having moss pressed up against the bottom of most broms is asking for trouble; if the moss remains moist enough to survive then it means it's damp enough to rot the brom.

The exception is broms that will grow terrestrially, such as Guzmania, and a few others. I believe some of the Aechmea broms also grow terrestrially, and when mounted on cork bark or branches, can actually benefit from being wrapped in moss, but it's all species specific.

Dave

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Make sure moss doesn't cover the bowl or they will rot out.

Also as a tip, cable ties are good for attaching broms, especially if they have nice wooden stalks : victory:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Market wise if done right, drainage etc i don't see why people wouldn't want these ready made. Mounting Broms isn't rocket science but carving wood, holes etc is beyond us simpletons.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Market wise if done right, drainage etc i don't see why people wouldn't want these ready made. Mounting Broms isn't rocket science but carving wood, holes etc is beyond us simpletons.
Get yourself to an aquarium shop and browse their bogwood/root etc

Get some really nice pieces for amphibian vivs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts