Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i get my first Leo on saturday, a lovely little tangerine morph. I’ve been wanting one since i was about 10 years old (now 30) so quite excited!
No friends/family have ever owned reptiles so its all a bit new and the reading wasn't stopped for weeks.

Are heat mats still commonly in use? The shop are setting up my viv this week and i opted for a ceramic bulb with a uvb lamp in also but i’ve seen so many differing results on day/night temperatures and one thing i didnt check is if the stat has this option. I know that keeping temps up at night won’t necessarily cause any harm but just thinking future changes.

Also do people keep small thermometers/hygrometers within the viv or just check daily? I’ve got some small digital ones that could easily be stuck in to place.

Appreciate any assistance and looking forward to ownership:D

Reptile Lizard Fluid Scaled reptile Rectangle

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Heat mats are ok, but what you've gone for is better. They do need UVb so well done on that. Some stats you can program a night time drop, though many leopard geckos will do fine without this. If you do I'd drop the hot spot down to ~24C, and then ~31C during the day.

You don't need to record humidity for them.

Temperature yes, but make sure you get a digital one, or even better an infrared temp gun. Any dial ones please just throw away.

Further tips:
Give them as much cover as possible, the more you give them the more secure they will feel and the more you will see them. Bits of cork bark work well as cover between hides.
Don't feed them mealworms as they aren't very nutritionally viable. Offer Crickets or Locusts. Leos love locusts and many don't offer them. I use to feed all the adult leos 5th hoppers.
Humid hide is important, just a tub full of coir.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heat mats are ok, but what you've gone for is better. They do need UVb so well done on that. Some stats you can program a night time drop, though many leopard geckos will do fine without this. If you do I'd drop the hot spot down to ~24C, and then ~31C during the day.

You don't need to record humidity for them.

Temperature yes, but make sure you get a digital one, or even better an infrared temp gun. Any dial ones please just throw away.

Further tips:
Give them as much cover as possible, the more you give them the more secure they will feel and the more you will see them. Bits of cork bark work well as cover between hides.
Don't feed them mealworms as they aren't very nutritionally viable. Offer Crickets or Locusts. Leos love locusts and many don't offer them. I use to feed all the adult leos 5th hoppers.
Humid hide is important, just a tub full of coir.
Thank you, much appreciated advice!

The reptile store i’ve gone to are building up the viv for me and fitting the heater/lights/hides etc so everything is at least comfy for when she comes home, but i’ve already been looking at different hides that i might want to add and fortunately there are quite a few stores near me where i can pick them up.

Thermometers are digital with built in humidity sensors anyway, so i can at least keep an eye if it drops/spikes. I’ve got an IR thermometer turning up today as well as a plug timer for the uvb

Just looking forward to getting her home now and being able to add my own touches to everything. As long as i’m happy with her settling in for a bit then i’ll giver her a bit of time before adding too much more.

Food i will try some different options to see what’s preferred as a daily source going forwards :)

all exciting stuff, i can see how it becomes addictive already and i haven’t even started ownership yet!

Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts