Reptile Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a wee look at my SHTCT girlie's tummy and she was clearly in season.
It was quite a surprise as it is her first ever season and I hadn't expected her to start ovulating until later in the year.
However, seeing she was ready to breed, I decided to let her meet my male for the first time.

I didnt expect anything on their first meeting as she is inexperienced and doesnt tend to get on with other leos.

HOW WRONG I WAS!

She must have had that loving feeling becasue within seconds of placing her in the tank he ran straight over to her and grabbed her in a loving embrace
:flrt:
It's the first time I've ever seen my leos mating and I got to see everything from start to finish!

(... Im not a perv lol :whistling2:)

So now Im hopefully expecting some eggs in about 2 weeks time. My first of the season and my first from this girlie. Im not sure if they will be fertile or if she even give me any from this one mating, but I'm still feeling FAB atm :no1:

Couple of questions:

Should I place her with him again soon to ensure the eggs are fertilised?
Or should I just wait and see if she gives me eggs in two weeks?
Should I leave her in there for a day or so?

I took her out straight away because I didnt want her becoming to overwhelmed with it all and freeking out at him.

xx

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
As long as they are both 'capable' and ready then once should do it.

You can re-introduce them a few times if you want to make sure or even leave him in a while, but personally as you have seen them 'get it on' I#d sit back and wait ....
Should hopefully see some eggs, though it may not be in 2 weeks, could be anywhere between a week or so and 5 weeks, depends on nature doing it's thing....:2thumb:

·
Funkygeckos.webs.com
5,359 Posts
First time females, who`ve never had the `pleasure` of laying eggs etc can sometimes take as long as 6 weeks to lay their first ever clutch of eggs! Just a case of them getting their bodies in order for the first few clutches, and the time inbetween eggs should become pretty regular after that. Better to be prepared for a wait and get a nice surprise, rather than expect something and be disappointed ;)

·
Registered
688 Posts
lol i know how you feel OP i saw my first mating last Thursday and Friday :2thumb:

watched both times lol

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Congrats gecko girl :D
I had Dennis mate to big Gus just under two weeks ago... and she's ready to pop out eggs any day :) so once should deffo be enough! If her belly isn't swollen in two weeks then i'd maybe try again.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I put my two sets of breeding geckos (2 males and 4 females) together last night and both males were at it straight away :mf_dribble:

I think we'll be looking at up to 70 eggs this year!

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AND AGAIN!!!!
My Olly is on a role this year.
Less than 24hours later, he impregnated another one!!!
My other 1st time male wasnt getting on with my other first time female (too much inexperience all round i think) and they kept ending up getting it wrong and fighting, so I decided that since its her first year I would let her meet my experienced male.

With the other male she's been rejecting him left right and centre. With Olly, she barely had a chance to before he got stuck in, did his thing, and ran away again looking pleased with himself lol

So LOTS of babies on the way hopefully :)
I'll only get normal/high Yellow's from her, but they'll be het. for both Blizzard AND Albino :)

xx

·
Premium Member
14,592 Posts
PMSL - Love the description!!! I have one very experienced male who is just so lazy. He runs away from the females when I put him with them and he seems to sleep all day! I never see him mating with any of them but I get fertile eggs so he must just be shy. Then I have other males who just don't take no for an answer, they get on with it no messing about!

·
Registered
9,392 Posts
Then I have other males who just don't take no for an answer, they get on with it no messing about!
well I don't know what I'm doing then as it's the other way round for mine........ when it comes to mating the females chase the male :lol2:

·
Premium Member
14,592 Posts
You must have very horny females!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts