Reptile Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all,
(First ever post, go easy haha)

i have recently bought my first Peacock Day Gecko and im picking him up on friday. i have a silly question about my viv, as this is the first reptile i have ever owned, what lighting, heating and UVB requirements do peacock Day Geckos need? and more importantly, what products should i get to meet these requirements?

i have a heat mat at the ready, but i want to get all of the proper stuff before i pick him up on friday!

any help would be amazing! i know the basics from revising care sheets but im still kinda nervous about getting his housing right!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
You're brave lol
I don't keep them myself so don't know the specifics but being a diurnal species they will need full spectrum UV lighting and a basking spot facilitated by a heat bulb of some sort hooked up to a dimmer stat as well as the heat mat to bump up those daytime temps (depending on the size of the viv of course) plenty of climbing space plants, branches (loads of people use bamboo for this) plenty of hiding spaces a small water bowl available but they will drink from misting mostly I believe. I'm not sure of the temperatures but I'd would think an ambient temp of about 80f with a basking spot up to about 95-100f and preferably a place at the other end where it goes down in to the 70's...definitely check some care sheets for this though:) and do some more research!!

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
For heat a small 20watt halogen will do the job on a stat. A heatmat isnt required nor is heating at night.

For uv if the bulb is above mesh I would go with the newer arcadia d3+ T5 bulb with reflector. If inside a tank the the D3 T5 will do the job fine. T5 lamps require a different ballast than normal T8 bulbs.

The chapest place to buy all the T5 stuff is here:
Arcadia T5 Reptile Lighting - Surrey Pet Supplies

1 - 3 of 3 Posts